PDA

View Full Version : Strange fuel leak??

94burb
09-06-2004, 18:11
Hello All,

I am having a strange problem. I have a new 94 K2500 (new to me) and whenever I start it up it starts leaking fuel around the exhaust downpipe area onto the ground. The leak is like drip........drip........drip where each . is aprox 1 sec. The ground is stained under the engine compartment but not dead center, more to the right of the truck, just around where the right front wheel ends.

The funny thing is that after I drive the truck for a bit and check to see if it is still leaking, the leak seems to have stopped. I have not had it up on a lift yet to see what it is although I did have the transmission fluid changed the other day and nobody said anything about this leak.

The truck is running fine otherwise, no SES or other indicators and no loss of power. Today I took it on a 2 hour run with no problems at all.

If anyone has any idea where I should look once it is on the lift please let me know.

Thanks.

MikeC
09-06-2004, 19:42
If the fuel shut off solenoid is leaking it will dump fuel in the valley. My Burban then dripped the fuel off the right rear. Just a shot.

Mike

CareyWeber
09-07-2004, 02:34
Might be one of the injector fuel return lines they are rubber.

Carey

94burb
09-07-2004, 07:28
Ok I'll check those things and let you know how it goes.

Thanks

tom.mcinerney
09-07-2004, 16:51
Fuel which leaks into valley generally drains thru a hole cast in rear of block that , in turn, drains into bell housing area ahead of flywheel...then out bottom bell house. If engine spins, the leak lubes the starter pinion.

94burb
09-27-2004, 10:02
I finally got to crawling under the truck and see that it is leaking from some pump looking thing on the right side of the engine area. It is wet and i guess the leak is coming from there or something is dripping down on to that. The leak only happens when the engine is running. It seems to have gotten worse.

Can anybody give me an idea of what that pump could be? It is on the right side of the truck close to the exhaust and next to the oil pan.

I looked from the top of the truck and see zero visible leaks.

I want to have an idea what I am getting into as far as repair cost before I take it in.

94burb
09-29-2004, 07:13
So I took it in and they are telling me that it is leaking from the injector pump. :(

They are also telling me that it is a part of the pump that can be replaced without removing the entire injection pump. It is the cylinder part in the front.

Is this difficult to do on your own?

tom.mcinerney
10-01-2004, 18:09
A few members have swapped them [fuel shutoff solenoid] out. I noticed the bolt securing mine was quite snug. If you attempt it make an effort to keep it very clean.

94burb
10-04-2004, 09:51
Thanks for the advice. $275CDN later its fixed. I figure I got robbed but sometimes you just give in. Now that I know what it is, I could most definately change it myself.

I hope this thread is useful for someone as this is my last post.