PDA

View Full Version : Chipping and reliability

Enigma
04-10-2011, 15:17
After reading a lot on here I am becoming curious about chipping.

My main goal is a little bit more power but mainly fuel economy increase both loaded and unloaded.

At what point do you loose reliability "its only a matter of time" type of stuff. If I am going to loose component durability / longevity in any I will not chip.

I know EFI Live has a huge following and is the best but I like the simplicity of a Edge evolution as a canned tuner. Plus I get gauges with the Edge.

Kennedy
04-12-2011, 10:58
Let's start with one key detail: Which engine series?

I lean more towards the stealth mode these days. No gadgets, gimmicks, displays etc sitting out in the open to be seen when at a light or parked on a dark street.

At the risk of sounding like a broken record here, my 2007 is running bone stock with the exception of my Kennedy Custom ECM Programming and is an absolute joy to drive. Mark Rinker has run this tuning and was unable to get into EGT trouble as I recall.

More Power
04-18-2011, 09:15
After reading a lot on here I am becoming curious about chipping.

My main goal is a little bit more power but mainly fuel economy increase both loaded and unloaded.

At what point do you loose reliability "its only a matter of time" type of stuff. If I am going to loose component durability / longevity in any I will not chip.

I know EFI Live has a huge following and is the best but I like the simplicity of a Edge evolution as a canned tuner. Plus I get gauges with the Edge.

Whether adding a little power hurts reliability or longevity depends more on the driver than anything else. An idiot could hurt a truck with a little more power - just as he could when running stock power. If you're driving for the long-haul, you'd likely be fine. ;)

A relative of mine had his Powerstroke broken into a couple years ago while parked in a Las Vegas hotel parking lot overnight. The thieves stole every do-dad and gizmo he had that wasn't stock. Like John suggested, having a stock appearing truck can reduce theft, but having cool stuff is sometimes worth the risk for careful drivers...

Jim

Enigma
04-18-2011, 18:37
Whether adding a little power hurts reliability or longevity depends more on the driver than anything else. An idiot could hurt a truck with a little more power - just as he could when running stock power. If you're driving for the long-haul, you'd likely be fine. ;)

A relative of mine had his Powerstroke broken into a couple years ago while parked in a Las Vegas hotel parking lot overnight. The thieves stole every do-dad and gizmo he had that wasn't stock. Like John suggested, having a stock appearing truck can reduce theft, but having cool stuff is sometimes worth the risk for careful drivers...

Jim

Ya, you have a very valid point there. That's the main reason I leave the stock radio in all my vehicles and leave the interior totally void of anything. Gives the theives nothing to get curious or nosy about.

I added my truck specs to my signature.

Kennedy
04-19-2011, 07:35
I have 3 of these trucks. The 2002 is most modded. The 2005 wasn't far behind. The 2005 now runs the 50HP tow program 99% of the time. The 2007 is the least modified. It would be my favorite work and drive truck IF it was a crew long 3500 config like my 2005. In fact I am tempted to put a 2006+ LBZ Powertrain in the 2005 and keep it rather than adopt the LML as my new work truck. Only time will tell...

Mark Rinker
04-22-2011, 10:00
Understanding what year of truck, and how you intend to use it is key to answering this question.

There is a large margin of safety left in the drivetrain of the Duramax. Enough that you can add power and use it carefully under different needs and scenarios.

Knowledge is power. Lots of knowledge here! Give us the details.

Enigma
04-22-2011, 18:08
Knowledge is power. Lots of knowledge here! Give us the details.

2006 2500HD/ LBz / 6 speed Allison CCSB

The primary use of this truck is pulling a cargo 8.5 x 20 enclosed trailer full of ATV's and camping gear. I estimate the trailers loaded curb weight to be 6000 pounds.

We travel over two mountain passes back and forth between central Oregon and the Oregon coast. A lot of switchback 25mph corners (true 25 mph) you come out of the corners then you go straight up a steep hill. This happens a number of times during the trip.

I never have been much of an aggressive driver thats why we switched to the D-Max from our Ford Expedition. I was always having to get a run at hills, going to fast in doing it. Those 25mph corners then straight up, forget about it, come in to the corners too fast and still pulling 35mph with the pedal mashed to the floor and the tranny wound out in 2nd gear. I feel the D-max gives me the margin of safety that I like. It has the drivetrain, suspension and torque I need to come into a corner safely, come out of it and roll on the power and build up a head of steam. That's how I like to drive, smooth and steady. I maintain the posted speed limit just about all time towing or not. I'm just not in a rush to get there. I plan for the time and when I get there, I get there.
http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l226/Enigma_023/20062500HD002.jpg
http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l226/Enigma_023/P1000749_640x480.jpg

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l226/Enigma_023/P1000760_800x600.jpg

Mark Rinker
04-22-2011, 19:47
http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/tdpforum/showthread.php?t=33987&highlight=comparison

Since this writing, most GM dealerships have really cracked down on borderline warranty claim payments where trucks are chipped and the extra power or fuel rates MAY be to blame.

An ECM swap approach allows for a very clean install/de-install, leaving no trace of the modification. Definately worth some additional consideration in 2011.

For what its worth, I have run for the last few years (~100K miles or so) in a bone stock configuration with the 2006 LBZ and 2009 LMM, and may continue to do so, mostly to avoid hassles with warranty claims and to maintain trade value to those that are looking for a 'non-chipped' truck.

I would really like to get back the fuel that the LMM regen process burns, however...and from time to time consider a DPF delete and Kennedy ECM tune.

Prestonia24
11-09-2011, 02:43
I have an 06 LBZ CC SB 4x4 with 47000 miles on it. 44,000 of them have been running with a Banks Six-Gun w/ PowerPDA, no issues really, except a loose connector on the TCM about a year ago that limped the tranny, non engine related.

gimpyhauler
11-10-2011, 19:30
I have my BullyDog unit stuffed into the inside fuse box. No one knows it's there. I have limited miles on it but can't find anything to complain about.;)

Yukon6.2
11-11-2011, 09:44
Hi Gimpyhauler
As soon as a dealership hooks up their computer they will know that you have it,or that you did have it hooked up.Unless you have a spare ECM,your's will tattle on you.
Steenkin computers.