PDA

View Full Version : Looking at used 6.2, whats it worth ?

brock1949
04-12-2011, 12:29
1988 1 ton 15 pass van, ODO rolled over to 16k owner says 116k on it but current owner is parting van. Engine starts and runs reliable sounds good etc however i've done no compression checks etc. He is asking 475 complete but sounds like he might go 400. Its a 660 block

It would be going in a 2000 wrangler TJ either stock for awhile or right away with 6.5 heads, turbo, lines, injectors and probably 4911 pump. The jeeps running 1 ton Dana 60s with 37" tires etc etc and its probably getting mated to a TH400 or 700R4 unless i find another deal on a controler then 4l60E/4l80E.

Thanks!
Brock

ApocBane
04-12-2011, 14:42
I'd say that's pretty cheap if compression is good.

Robyn
04-13-2011, 06:34
Her is my personal Opinion on any used 6.2/6.5 engine.

If the beast fires off cold easily and runs smooth fairly quick after it lites off, then dont worry much about the compression test.

While its running at idle, pull the oil filler cap off and observe the vapor, if any coming out. If this is minimal then the rings are good.

Oil pressure hot should be no lower than 15 at idle and when reved up about 40 or so.

Be sure to check when the thing warms up that the top radiator hose is not hard as a rock and that there is not signs of coolant being puked out the overflow hose.

If these things check out thats about all you can do other than to look for major oil leaks etc.

Now the one caviat with these engines is that they can have main web cracks and until you pull the pan and look, there is not any way to know if the thing is sound or not.

For an engine that old, I would certainly try for the Low end of the price range.

Before you drop it in your Jeep, I would seriously recommend cleaning the thing good, yank the pan and inspect the bottom end for any cracks in the center main webs.

If you find any small ones in the 3 center out main bolts, this is not a death sentence and can be repaired without tearing the engine down too much farther.

If no cracks are found, a rear main seal is in order at the least and regoop and replace the pan.

Good time to yank the timing cover and regasket and seal that too, maybe a timing chain.

Dont forget to install some new soft plugs, these will likely be nearly rotted through.

Have fun and if you need any other help, just ask :)

Missy