PDA

View Full Version : Fuel to Injector Pump

tkbnz11
04-16-2011, 10:57
Does anybody out there know if the fuel drains back to the tank when you shut down. It seems to me that my hard starting could be caused by fuel not getting to the pump for a period of time when you start cranking. I have a 6.5 in a 31 ft Motor Home and the fuel tank is in the back. The lift pump must be running alright because it runs awful good after it starts.

Also I'm wondering does this engine use an exhaust Converter?
Thanks in Advance
Ralph Webber (tkbnz11}

Robyn
04-16-2011, 19:51
The lift pump has a check valve in it thats supposed to keep the fuel in place after a shutdown.

If the check valve fails, the fuel can syphon back to the tank, leaving an air pocket at the Injection pump and result in hard first starts.

This issue will usually result in very hard first starts with missing and smoking after it does start.]

Hard starts can be caused by failing or poor glow plugs too.

To see if your issue is caused by air in the system from a drain back, remove the fuel feed hose from the injectot pump, then activate the electric lift pump.

If you get fuel right now then its not likely a drain back issue.

If you get a Blurp of air and such then a drainback issue is likely the problem.

Replacement of the lift pump should remedy the problem.

If you replace the lift pump, be sure and bleed the system up to the IP before trying to start it.

Missy

tkbnz11
04-17-2011, 11:15
The lift pump has a check valve in it thats supposed to keep the fuel in place after a shutdown.

If the check valve fails, the fuel can syphon back to the tank, leaving an air pocket at the Injection pump and result in hard first starts.

This issue will usually result in very hard first starts with missing and smoking after it does start.]

Hard starts can be caused by failing or poor glow plugs too.

To see if your issue is caused by air in the system from a drain back, remove the fuel feed hose from the injectot pump, then activate the electric lift pump.

If you get fuel right now then its not likely a drain back issue.

If you get a Blurp of air and such then a drainback issue is likely the problem.

Replacement of the lift pump should remedy the problem.

If you replace the lift pump, be sure and bleed the system up to the IP before trying to start it.

Missy

Thanks Missy, I'll check it.
Ralph