PDA

View Full Version : Can a 6.5 make oil?

phantom309
04-19-2011, 21:03
well if it was one of the big trucks,. i,d be pulling valve covers and adding dye to the fuel filters, pulling injectors,etc,..

i think the 6.5 is making oil,.
where,.and how is the fuel getting into the oil??

thanks
nick

DmaxMaverick
04-20-2011, 00:18
First, confirm you do, in fact, have fuel in the crankcase.

It's extremely rare, but can happen via the IP shaft. The low-pressure fuel has to get past 2 seals and a weep hole. The pumps are usually shot well before the first seal fails (and the weep hole plugs, and the second seal fails....). Too many things have to go wrong, and they don't usually do it silently. But, it's happened. A leaking weep hole will leave a puddle of fuel below the rear of the engine.

If you are seeing a significant amount of fuel in the oil, it isn't a leaky injector. By the time you can measure it on the dipstick, that cylinder would have hydro-locked. The knock would be horrendous long before. Not to mention the James Bond smoke screen.

The usual suspect is Jiffy-Lube, servicing your 6.5 like a PS (12 qts) or 6.6 (10 qts).

phantom309
04-21-2011, 08:27
i,m not seeing a significant amount, it,s not "wet stick"ing like a series 60 i had one time,.but she usually uses 1/2 a litre to a tank of fuel (112ltrs) which translates to couple of litres a month,. i use 15w40 in it,.
another strange thing ,. the other day the truck fired cold and while idling marked the ground with atf ,. i looked and it was running out of the flywheel cover vent hole,,. it hasn't done it since,. wonder if the pump in the tranny is getting ready to puke,. Or mebbe its making trans oil too!
Nick
thinking about naming the truck,. 'christine',.:eek:

DmaxMaverick
04-21-2011, 09:03
If your ATF only leaked once, it could have been an overfill (dumping out the vent). Depending on how cold it is, strange things can happen with fluids. If it continues, the torque converter could be cracked, or the input bushing/seal is going south.

Different oil brands (even of the same weight/grade) can have different degrees of consumption. Often, high oil consumers can cure a problem by just changing brands. Others just "use" no matter what we do. If you only noticed "less" oil used, I wouldn't suspect fuel in the oil, as long as the amount in the crankcase hasn't increased over time. Driving and weather conditions can affect this, as well.

convert2diesel
04-23-2011, 13:17
Nick:

Are you sure its fuel in the oil? Have seen a number of cases where the waterpump backing plate has been eaten away through cavitation. The seepage of coolent is so slow, that by the time it makes it to the oil pan, all of the water content is gone leaving just a concentrated glycol content. Causes a thick gooey mess when mixed with oil but it no longer smells of anti-freeze and doesn't leave the tell tale evidence on the dip stick.

Bill