PDA

View Full Version : Adivce on the conversion from mechanical to electric IP?

#1HawkeyeFan
04-20-2011, 18:23
I have been thinking that I would replace the engine in my truck. Per an earlier thread, I believe at the very least that a head gasket is blown... The original engine has over 220,000 miles on it and I'm afraid that doing the heads will be followed soon by a bottom end problem... Unfortunately, Kennedy and Pen are out of my price range.

After some searching on-line I have found a possible alternative to my problem... I found a 1994 C2500 that has a 6.5L TD in it with only 100,000 miles on it, that I can afford to buy for the purpose of swapping the engine from it into my K3500.

The only issue would be the conversion from the MIP in my truck to the EIP on the new engine. The owner of the C2500 has installed a new driver and mounted it in the front and below his radiator near the bumper.

What pains would I need to be aware of in doing the conversion from the mechanical injection pump to the electronic one?

Thanks...

trbankii
04-20-2011, 18:53
Personally, I'd stick with the MIP and swap components from your current engine over to the "new" one.

#1HawkeyeFan
04-20-2011, 19:04
What would that entail? I'm guessing that there is all kinds of sensors that would no longer be getting the necessary signals... The engine would run eventually, but what would need to be done to switch it over to the mechanical?

racer55
04-20-2011, 23:00
Much less trouble than you would expect.
Basically you would swap the external parts and IP from your engine over to what would become the donor engine long block.
Your IP,intake,and front drive accessories would be bolted up to the new block/heads/exhaust of the other engine.

Getting the IP timed would be the hardest part.

JohnC
04-21-2011, 06:53
I'm guessing that there is all kinds of sensors that would no longer be getting the necessary signals...

Actually, it's the other way around. there would be some sensors for which you no longer have use for the signals. All you need to do (I think) is swap the injection pump and lines. Any sensors for which you don't have wires in your truck are unnecessary. (There may be a temperature sensor or two you need to swap over, too, but everything else (crank sensor) can be left unconnected.

Seems the last thing you'd want to do is try to swap all the electronics, along with all the reliability issues, over to your truck.