PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Line Leak Help

TurboDiverArt
04-21-2011, 14:59
Hi All,

I have a leak in my fuel feed line on my 1999 Suburban. The leak seems to be right at the point where the frame comes over the rear wheel and makes the turn downward. Hard to tell exactly where the leak is. Prior to the cross bar the tank hangs from the main line is dry and after that point it’s visible wet. There are two lines coming from the tank to that point and then it seems the brake lines joins the three as they begin to start down from the wheel opening and forward. Frame and 2 lines prior to this point appear dry (and rusty) while when the brake line joins the duo to become a trio the frame, biggest line (fuel feed) and bundle of wires are wet. It’s not brake fluid cause the reservoir is still full.

I assume there must be a rubber connection to the tank prior to the leak. I don’t know if there is a point forward of this point, prior to the lift point where there is a connection or if I need to replace the entire line from the tank to the lift pump. Is there an easy way to replace this line? Is this a dealer only item? Could I really cheap out and use a length of rubber hose and clamp it? Something diesel-grade if there is such a thing? Can I use regular gasoline grade fuel line? I only use the truck really to tow to the racetrack, couple thousand miles a year so I'd rather not get into a whole project if I can avoid it. I assume either way I’m going to need to drop the tank. Do any of our vendors sell these lines?

Thanks as always!

rameye
04-21-2011, 16:32
Ha..I just finished the job you speak of...seriously about 4 hours ago.. I was getting air in the system...wreaking havoc....harder starts followed by no start, stall-out.

What i did...

Dropped the tank (because I scoped the top of the tank and it looked ...and was bad...rusty, rotten not good)

New tank, new lines.

I went to the marine supply and purchased marine grade fuel lines (not cheap), wrapped them in wire loom and strapped them to the inside of the frame rail to the pump.

The set up you have right now is...metal lines exit your tank...then switch over to rubber as they leave the metal pickup lines, cross over the frame rail and switch back to steel.

It worked well for me...

TurboDiverArt
04-22-2011, 03:39
Dropped the tank (because I scoped the top of the tank and it looked ...and was bad...rusty, rotten not good)

New tank, new lines.

I went to the marine supply and purchased marine grade fuel lines (not cheap), wrapped them in wire loom and strapped them to the inside of the frame rail to the pump.

The set up you have right now is...metal lines exit your tank...then switch over to rubber as they leave the metal pickup lines, cross over the frame rail and switch back to steel.

It worked well for me...
Yes, I looked more closely at it last night. I can see the rubber lines you speak of and where they transition to metal they appear rusty.

I think I could cut the rubber after the tank then disconnect from the lift pump and remove the entire line and then inspect and cut where appropriate and replace with rubber hose. I don't think it should take me too long to do, few hours tops. I don’t think I would even need to drop the tank. The steel line in front of the wheel opening appears to be in good shape.

You happen to know the size of the line? I've got some 6-AN stainless braded line I could use. Wouldn’t chafe on the frame and I know its gasoline and methanol grade line. Other option is to replace the metal line with another metal line from NAPA and make the bends that I need. There appears to be a coupler after the transition from the wheel well, I assume it’s a standard compression or flare type coupler. Don’t know if it’s factory.

What ya think?

rameye
04-22-2011, 14:19
I would say you are on the right track.... However, good luck getting those lines apart!! I hope you can...I wasnt even going to try...they just looked awful, I could just see a pinole forming leaving me stranded.

Contrary to popular belief...the tank drop was pretty easy with an empty tank, and a floor jack...I did it alone (up and down). The transition line connections are in the worst place possible ( i dont have a lift) so I had to do it the way I did. I cut the rubber transition lines, disconnected the vent and fuel fill and lowered away.

Next time I log on I'll grab the hose sizes...they were standard sizes.

A far as the factory fittings... pretty sure they are a funky double flare with an o-ring,,,same as the inlet/outlet to the fuel pump. I dont have waht it takes to make those! I think a standard flare union would be quite acceptable.

have fun