PDA

View Full Version : Looking for recommendation for Scan tool.

bdv
09-07-2004, 09:41
New to the site, great info, first time out the gate here goes. I am looking to by a scan tool to read the ECM and PCM stored codes. A scan tool such as GM's TECH-1 or its equivalent. Hoping others have recommendation on best tool and best price.

I am going to put second posting on this issue, need to replace instrument cluster bulbs any info on procedure would to most helpful.

Thanks for the help BDV

1994 Chevy Suburban 4X4 6.5L Turbo 4.10 Rear End. Just bought used with 145,000.

DmaxMaverick
09-07-2004, 10:31
Is this for your '94?

If so, save your money. Code reading ability is built in and easy to do. All you need is a paper clip and a little time. If you are trying to read a '96 or later (OBDII), you will need a scanner.

John Kennedy (aka: Kennedy Diesel (http://www.kennedydiesel.com)) has the procedure posted on his website. Go to the main page, click on "Tech Tips", 6.2/6.5, then "Read Codes".

Give that a try. If you have questions or problems, be sure to come back.

charliepeterson
09-07-2004, 18:51
The instrument cluster is easy too. The trim panel around the cluster pulls straight off with your hands. Next a few 5.5mm or 6mm screws come off and the cluster should come straight out.

The bulbs come out from behind with a quarter turn CCW. I would change all of them now. IIRC you might find six or seven bulbs. The replacement bulbs come with sockets so don't try to separate them.

whatnot
09-07-2004, 20:16
If you only want to read the codes, all you need is the paperclip as mentioned above. If you want to see the datastream, you do need a scan tool.
Something equivalent to a Tech-1 is Very expensive.
I have an OTC 4000E that will show the data stream and check the codes (and tell what they are for on the display) but can't set the timing. You should be able to get one off ebay for $200 or less since they only work on vehicles up till 1997.

bdv
09-08-2004, 06:09
Thanks for all the information, reading the data stream would be helpful. Sounds like a go idea to do all the bulbs at once. Thanks again for the help. BDV

dieselrealtor
09-09-2004, 19:28
I bought an Actron 4500?.

Autozone & Pep Boys carry them I know, it was on sale at pepboys for $200, so far it works great.