PDA

View Full Version : maybe you guys can help me!

ricksofla
04-24-2011, 20:30
The USA: everythings made in china, how many jobs (a whole "cl
ass" of people) are gone because of that?, how much $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ do "they" waste on BS "programs", how many "things" do "they" get involved in, that they spend "our" money on without our approval? My dads up there with John Wayne, and Ron Regan, settin something up, for sure! (hopefully) Now, me, I'm stuck in Boone,NC. I just drove my 2002 3500 cc dually Dmax (317,000.00 miles), 4x4 from Ft laud to Baltimore, MD and back, no problem! Last week I went to Coco Beach( to help the bro) when I left his house, got to I-95 and my trans jumped out of gear. It did this 20 times to Boone, NC (up the mountains through Blowing Rock) I took the truck to the dealer and there telling me its the transfer case. My sister works @ a Chevy store, spoke to the truck guy, he says transfer cases dont go bad? Anyway, I have to tow the truck back to Ft Laud for repair, with my FORD VAN! any thoughts?

More Power
04-26-2011, 14:25
How did you correct (temporarily) the problem each time it jumped out of gear?

Jim

ricksofla
04-26-2011, 15:17
HI Jim, I shut the truck down for a couple of minutes, started it up and it worked ( for a little while) when we got to the road that leads to the house (dirt, up hill, switch backs etc...) I put it in 4 low and punched it, that worked to get us up the hill! when this started (in St. Augustine, Fl) it woulden't go in 1st or 4th or 5th, it seemed like it was starting out in 3rd gear, I had no power going up hill.

DmaxMaverick
04-26-2011, 17:26
If it's "cured", even temporarily, by a restart, it isn't the transfer case. The TC is a mechanical gear box, with electric motors that shift the ranges. it will be either: in gear, 2 or 4 hi, 4 lo, neutral, or locked up (broken). In any case, it will not force a "limp mode", which is what it sounds like you are seeing.

Is the SES lamp on? If so, it isn't a transfer case issue. You will see a "Service 4WD" on the message center display with any transfer case problem. If the SES is on, there are codes to be read, and they will indicate, at the very least, what system is having issues.

Your symptoms could also be caused by something as simple as a fuel system restriction, such as a filter or collapsed fuel line. Could also be bad fuel (gasoline), or even a failed fuel filler cap vent. The 2001-2001 models often do not set DTC's for these conditions, it just runs out of power.

rapidoxidationman
04-26-2011, 19:28
Change the fuel filter...

ToddMeister
04-27-2011, 07:47
Could it be the transmission range selector switch on the side of the tranny causing the malfunction?

ricksofla
08-08-2011, 07:11
Anyone know about this company (LKQ)? I got my truck back to Ft. Lauderdale and the tech. at Ed Morse said it is the transfercase. My sisters boss says he can get it from LKQ for $800.00 and have one of the tech. replace it for me. just wondering about LKQ.

DmaxMaverick
08-08-2011, 09:19
Unless you have a new problem, nothing you've experienced indicates the transfer case needs replacement. At most, perhaps an electrical issue or a stepper motor may need attention. Both are externally repaired, and a lot less than $800. I'd be suspicious of someone selling a 263XHD for $800. Used, maybe. Never heard of that company.

What were the DTC's (stored codes)?