PDA

View Full Version : RV wiring

winemaker
04-30-2011, 14:35
2005 GMC 3500, the forward stake box on the drivers side has the RV wiring harness. I took my truck to an RV place yesterday and had him flush-mount a 7-pin socket receptacle with cover, looks nice and clean, BUT...

He says he couldn't find power. The lights, brakes all work but no power. He checked the socket receptacle at the rear hitch: same thing.

Is there a secret here?

Thanks
Brett

DmaxMaverick
04-30-2011, 15:41
Ancient Chinese secret......

Install the 12V charge circuit 40A fuse into the underhood fusebox. They don't roll off the line with them installed. If you got the trailer brake harness that plugs in under the dash, the fuse should have been taped to it. Some model years didn't include the fuse, so you were on your own getting one, but they were never pre-installed.

bobt
04-30-2011, 22:17
On both my '93 and my 2009, the power wire was not connected to the power supply at or near the battery. The two wires, one red for power and one blue for electric brakes, were bundled and tied up near the driver's side battery. Perhaps, your are not connected either. I didn't have a fuse issue with either of mine.
Bob

winemaker
05-01-2011, 23:20
Thanks guys, I'll take a look tomorrow
Brett