PDA

View Full Version : 97 C3500 6.5 TD no start

trucknut6657
05-01-2011, 17:02
Installed a 95 or 96 engine known to be running when pulled, IP new as of 10/12/2000 supposed miles on motor now 53000(was a railroad security truck), unknown at time of IP replacement. Pulled heads installed rebuilt ones, checked bottom end bearings good no ridges, could still see hatch marks at bottom of cylinders. Got it all installed and tried starting no fuel at injectors but no codes either, had two used and unknown condition PMD’s No start with either one. Installed brand new PMD, still no start. Checked for codes got the following PO235, PO251, PO370, PO380. I believe the PO 238 is due to the fact I had the upper plenum unbolted at time of cranking (installed now). PO251 (injection metering) not sure? PO370 (timing ref High res malfunction) Optical sensor? PO380 Glow plug controller? Checked and tested installed new glow plugs all glowed as they should. Also have loosened all the injector lines and cranked for 10-15 sec let rest for 1 min and tried again at least 5-6 times still no fuel at injectors.

Question 1: How much fuel should come out at the black vent on the filter when loosened (with key on or off cranking or not) After cranking I get a small amount of fuel and air mix. If I get fuel out of the water bleeder (T valve in line at thermostat housing) and the pump was full when I removed the Idle stop Sol (to check it, functions with 12 volts and when plugged in and key turned on). Would this cause no fuel at the injectors?

Question 2: Would the OS cause no fuel at the injectors?

Question 3: What else should I look for (besides a new IP) that would cause me not to get fuel at the injectors?

Thank you for any info

Jim

JohnC
05-01-2011, 18:03
The '97 lift pump should run for a few seconds every time the key is cycled to "on". You should get a healthy squirt of fuel out of the bleeder during this time. Confirm it does.

If you suspect the Optical Sensor, unplug it. The engine should then start off the crank sensor, although not as readily as if the OS is working.

DaveBr
05-01-2011, 22:13
There is a fuel shut off solenois on the IP. Have someone turn the key on in the cab while you listen at the IP for the click that tells you it is working. Noclicky - no worky = no fuel to injectors.

trucknut6657
05-02-2011, 08:43
Thanks guys ! heading out to the garage to check these itwms now will let you know the outcome.