PDA

View Full Version : New guy from Ontario, Canada

PinkNinja
05-03-2011, 08:40
Hello all

Name is Adam. I'm a CWB and TSSA cert'd welder. Been doing it for 7-8 years.
Going back to school this June for Policing. I've had enough of waking up and worrying if I'm going to be laid off when I get to work.

I own a 96 240sx which is getting an LS1 swap. Just needs a transmission. But that's on hold now due to school.

I've spent a lot of time in the import world. And built some bad ass cars. Including an 89 Toyota Supra with a twin turbo 1UZFE 4.0 V8 mated to a R154. Also a RHD 93 RX7 with an IFS Cobra 8.8 rear end and a fully built LS2.

My current project is an 85 Jeep Cherokee.
I just picked up a GMC K2500 6.5t yesterday.
And I have a Ford kingpin Dana 60.

Yup. The 6.5t is going in the Cherokee!

This is my first diesel and I've been doing as much research as I can.
Right off the bat. The "Service Engine Soon" light came on shortly after bringing it home. :(
I hope it's just the PMD...
I think it also needs a new coolant temp sensor. The water temp gauge doesn't warm up. But everything else works.

The engine doesn't seem to smoke or smoke on start up.

I only have a month to build this Cherokee. And now a pretty limited budget. The decision to go to school was a out of the blue decision.

So I hope you guys don't mind helping!

Thanks,
Adam

More Power
05-03-2011, 10:59
Adam,

Glad you're here. I've often thought a 6.2/6.5 diesel Cherokee would be sweet - the last full size Jeep passenger vehicle.

I would convert the 6.5 to mechanical fuel injection for this conversion. Much simpler and more reliable. You may be able to sell the related electronic parts to help compensate for buying the mechanical stuff.

Keep us posted....

PinkNinja??

Jim

PinkNinja
05-03-2011, 11:47
Adam,

Glad you're here. I've often thought a 6.2/6.5 diesel Cherokee would be sweet - the last full size Jeep passenger vehicle.

I would convert the 6.5 to mechanical fuel injection for this conversion. Much simpler and more reliable. You may be able to sell the related electronic parts to help compensate for buying the mechanical stuff.

Keep us posted....

PinkNinja??

Jim

I originally planned for an OM617 to go in. But then this truck came around.
The K2500 has a fully rebuilt trans. New heads, gaskets, alternator, and a bunch of other stuff.
So it became top choice pretty quickly. And for the right price.

I've been on the fence with the mech IP. I like the idea of it's simplicity and reliability. But I'm not sure if I'm in a position to be messing around with IPs.
I really want this in a quickly as possible. And I hate to say it, but as cheaply as possible.
School came out of the blue. Now I'm left with very short time constraints. And very limited budget. I've even had to change up my suspension plans from 4 links and coils to leafs all around :(...

Right now I just need it to get me from one end of town to the other. All year round.

I don't really remember how I came up with my user name. But it's what I've been using on forums for a few years now. It's probably not very interesting anyway, haha!

DieselDavy
05-06-2011, 10:00
Adam,
Welcome! You've come to the right place for this project. The advice you get here from the regulars (including Jim's) will be given from experience and wisdom. Mine, on the other hand is worth what you're paying for it!!
Really, I'm advice to go mechanical is very wise. If you're looking for reliability, listen up!
Go mechanical!
Again, welcome Adam

Dave

phantom309
08-06-2011, 19:23
I
The K2500 has a fully rebuilt trans. New heads, gaskets, alternator, and a bunch of other stuff.

you buy it in barrie?

phantom309
12-03-2011, 09:33
I was wondering how this turned out? I was also curious if we lived not to far apart that maybe i could help out, or if you might have the truck back up for sale?

Nick