PDA

View Full Version : New Articles!

More Power
05-06-2011, 11:41
Headlight & Taillight Polishing
Renewing Plastic Lenses (http://www.thedieselpage.com/features/polish.htm)
It seems today that vehicles are utilizing more plastic than ever before. Care of plastics presents unique challenges that many of us are not immediately accustomed to. After finishing eight years of continuous sea duty in the U.S. Navy, I decided that now would be a good time to invest more effort in vehicle maintenance. In researching ways to improve the appearance of my Suburban's taillight assemblies, I turned to Griots Garage to assist in that goal. Follow along as we show just how easy it is to return your plastic lenses to like new condition.

Grease
Eleven Steps to Success
These GM trucks have eleven grease fittings on the front-end. GM recommends greasing these eleven fittings at every oil change, which can vary from 3,000 miles to 7,500 miles, depending on how the truck is used and under what conditions. What we'll do here is suggest a type of grease and grease gun, and show you where all of the fittings are and how to grease them. Now available to subscribers in the Member's Area (http://www.thedieselpage.com/password.htm#features).

Subzilla
05-13-2011, 11:33
Great articles.

We've got a non-GM :rolleyes: Nissan Xterra and all the steering joints are "non-greasable". No fittings or even holes for fittings. I don't understand what keeps these from wearing out so I cringed every time I'm under the vehicle and I can't lube it. What's the deal on these type joints.

More Power
05-13-2011, 12:28
Thanks for your comments.

Non-serviceable suspension, steering and driveline components are common on light-duty vehicles. My daughter's Malibu doesn't have a grease fitting on it either. I used to have a poor opinion of non-serviceable components, but am slowly coming around. For example... Lil Red's original 1989 K1500 ball joints are of the non-serviceable type, and they remain in fine shape, even with 185,000 miles on them. The front hub bearings are also the non-serviceable type. Original as well.

I've learned that non-serviceable U-joints last longer than those with a grease fitting because of better seals. OEM non-serviceable U-joints are all I use these days.

Maybe the 2500HD/3500 pickups get ball-joints with grease fittings because of higher loads - I dunno. As a side note, I use OEM replacement ball-joints when replacing them on any vehicle. The sealing boot is much better than that found on most aftermarket replacements - often made in China.

Jim

DieselDavy
05-20-2011, 05:31
Jim,
You mentioned that Lil Red's hub bearings are original and in fine shape?
My '82 had at least 345,000 miles on original front hub bearing with little play in them. (that's when I sold it)
My '02 on the other hand went 70,000 and they had to be replaced. Talking to my favorite local repair guy, (close friend) he told me that the hubs on that platform (started in '99 I think) and going forward won't be lasting so long and that my 70,000 is average. The bearings weren't that loose, but loose enough to make the ABS cause SERIOUS braking issues. I just about drove into my own store when turning into a parking space and having the brake peddle go to the floor! With the ABS sensors built into the hub, this design can tolerate VERY little wear.
Off topic, I know......
Dave

More Power
05-23-2011, 13:35
Jim,
You mentioned that Lil Red's hub bearings are original and in fine shape?
My '82 had at least 345,000 miles on original front hub bearing with little play in them. (that's when I sold it)
My '02 on the other hand went 70,000 and they had to be replaced. Talking to my favorite local repair guy, (close friend) he told me that the hubs on that platform (started in '99 I think) and going forward won't be lasting so long and that my 70,000 is average. The bearings weren't that loose, but loose enough to make the ABS cause SERIOUS braking issues. I just about drove into my own store when turning into a parking space and having the brake peddle go to the floor! With the ABS sensors built into the hub, this design can tolerate VERY little wear.
Off topic, I know......
Dave

Dave,

Lil Red's 1989 (GMT400, 1990's body style) front wheel bearings are essentially the same design as that used in later GM IFS GMT800 (2000s body style) trucks.

Bearing life can depend on the type of duty the truck sees. I suppose a snow plow truck, higher GCVWR averages, or one with larger-than-stock wheels/tires would see higher average front suspension/steering loads, and that might reduce the average life of these bearings.

Jim

LanduytG
06-10-2011, 05:55
I feel most people have a tendency to over grease, meaning they wait for grease to come. When that happens seals are broken and dirt comes in wearing out the joint prematurely. When I grease I pump it till I feel the seal begin to bulge then stop.

Greg