PDA

View Full Version : Do I really a Load Distributing Hitch?

DBMfins
05-16-2011, 07:52
I'm looking to get a travel trailer in the range of 32 to 36 feet thus putting it around 10,000lbs. I've been researching load distributing hitches and most of what I've read indicates that I will need one to assist the vehicle with keeping level (better handling and braking) and because its the law over certain a weight. None of the articles addressed the capabilities of a really new truck by the way. The factory hitch is weight carrying AND weight distributing @ 13,000 lbs with a tongue weight of 1,500 lbs. The truck has the GM trailer sway control also. Towing my 10,000 lb dump trailer fully loaded is proof the truck won't squat much because its just an animal! (Props to GM on the new frame). I don't know where law comes into this because here in New York the load distributing hitch is not required.
So do I really need a load distributing hitch?

Roy W
05-16-2011, 18:08
My 32 foot Jayco travel trailer has a hitch weight of 1000 lbs and a loaded weight of 9200 lbs, and yes, I can set the trailer coupler on the ball and the back of the truck only squats an inch or so. In actuality, I have even towed the trailer a short distance this way, but it also makes the front of the truck a little light on the steering. With weight removed from the front tires, I would imagine that it also diminishes the effectiveness of the trucks front brakes. I recommend (and use myself) a Reese Dual Cam weight distributing hitch for your application. This hitch, with the correct weight distribution bars makes an excellent towing package. I was not aware that the 2011 trucks have a built in sway control system from the factory. Are you sure you are not referring to the factory brake controller.

Yesterday
05-16-2011, 19:54
Yes, the 2011 GM trucks have a built in sway control.. if it has single rear
wheels. It works by selectively applying the brakes on different wheels to
bring things under control. Not required on duallys, they are inherently more
stable.:)

Duane

DmaxMaverick
05-16-2011, 21:29
You should use a WD hitch with a trailer that heavy, especially travel trailers (less rigid than cargo trailers, and usually very poorly weight-distributed). The 2011's do have sway control, but it's a "after it's already in the fan and try to keep you on the road before you hit the ditch" sway control. It's reactive, not to be understood as a stabilizing system. Safer, perhaps, than without, but does not replace proper trailering equipment.

87max
05-17-2011, 11:49
Decent hitch with sway control, couple hundred bucks. Truck, trailer & yourself? Cheap insurance. I tow a 24' prowler with a reese weight dist. hitch & sway. Does it seem to make a difference scootin down the road? maybe a little. Will it make a difference if I blow a tire or have to swerve in an emergency you bet.

DBMfins
05-19-2011, 12:08
Thanks to all for the advice. I will be getting the WD hitch as many have suggested. Yes, better safe than sorry. And yes the trailer sway control is new on the 2011 single rear wheel models. This along with the hill start assist and the exhaust brake are great for the heavy loads behind you. I traded in my '07 LMM for this one. Not to noticeable with power differences but the way the 2011 tows with the heavier frame is awesome. Thanks again.:)

DickWells
05-22-2011, 09:57
There is a whole World of difference between weight-distribution hitches. Like someone said, above, get a dual cam hitch, by all means! I've towed for over 150,000 miles with a dual cam, and it's saved me a lot of grief. The difference is in the cams. A regular WD hitch only has chains that you load by pulling up with over-centering hooks, to transfer weight onto the front of the tow vehicle. The dual cam also uses the same type of chains and hooks, but tensions some cam riders, or lumps, under the cams, which are built into the transfer bar/springs. These hold your trailer and tow vehicle straight with each other while you're going down the road. Almost eliminates all the pull, push, pull feeling you get when passing a semi, or when one passes you. You won't get that with just a plain WD hitch, with chains only. In fact, the usual sway control for those, is a friction bar which you pre-load with some wrenches, and they can be problematic. The dual cam hitches are not cheap, being something like 4-500 bucks, which probably includes the adjustable ball mount, but well worth it. I've had occasion to prove it, when I tried to duck a young man who fell asleep and came right at us, down in Southern LA. I had that trailer up on first one set of wheels, and then the other, for well over 100 yds, and if I hadn't had that hitch, I woulldn't be here, today.
I have 1200 lb bars, and my tongue weight is a little over 1100. I think I'd ere on the side of too big rather than too small.
Good luck.

Vin7587
06-02-2011, 12:23
As the others mentioned, I would highly recommend a weight distribution assembly. Having had to pull substantial weight with and without one, I would definitely invest in a WD hitch. I've towed my race car all over the country with my WD hitch and have never had a problem with any of the high winds, unstable loads, etc.