PDA

View Full Version : Can I farmer fix the grounds?

sask3500
05-16-2011, 16:45
Do the ground wires have to be in the stock position? I am looking at running a new pair of wires from the block end of the battery to block strap to the frame and firewall. My original straps are corroded and need replacement but the stockers are a pain in the ass to get at. I would like to be able to access them easily for cleaning etc.

Any issues that you guys can forsee? Comments or reccomendations too?

Justin

Artworks
05-17-2011, 04:51
I have run extra grounds to a few more places, both batteries to block and chassis , from firewall to the frame ect. You don't think you can have enough good grounds on these trucks. The one behind the intake beside the glow controller is an important one however and you got keep it in good shape / clean and tight.

sask3500
05-17-2011, 06:11
But as far as anyone knows no particular harm can come from moving the location of the ground straps to a mor accesible place? Just keep the gauge up and areas connected the same and I'm good?

Thanks

Robyn
05-17-2011, 06:21
As long as you have both batteries grounded to the engine block, the frame and the body also grounded to the block, your good to go.

The factory locations were chosen to facilitate easy assembly on the line while the rig was being built.

There are zero reasons that any good ground to the body, frame and engine block will not work fine.

Missy

DmaxMaverick
05-17-2011, 09:41
Ensure your primary grounds are to the engine block. If not, you risk a bonding strap (or whatever you use to replace them) carrying a starter load. This has happened, and the results were not pretty.

As Robyn suggested, ground both batteries to the block, then send body/frame grounds in any/all directions from the block. Just be sure the locations are not too close to (or through!!) any electronics. Any heavy load (such as wipers, windows, etc.) can cause interference with electronics, and sometimes damage them due to the field created. The block to firewall ground is very important, though. Just grounding to a fender isn't good enough. Most "bolt through" grounds are a problem, as most of them bolt to a painted surface. The ground studs were welded before the paint went on.

sask3500
05-22-2011, 07:34
There we go. My intention was to leave the factory battery to block ground in place. Then from the block terminal of that connection carry a heavy line to the frame that can be accessed without disassembling the inner fender and a heavy line to the firewall as well. Big wires and bright connections all around.
Thanks