PDA

View Full Version : Blue Smoke under heavy load

Dan Lauzon
05-17-2011, 22:57
I noticed that if I am climbing a steep hill at 2,000 + RPM there is blue smoke trailing. The smoke stops after the higher load is reduced. I also noticed a low crankcase level. It is crankcase oil but why? I have not yet had someone follow me to see where the smoke is emulating, it is not coming out of the exhaust pipe. The 2000 6.5 only has 150k and is well maintained. Any ideas?

a5150nut
05-18-2011, 21:15
Welcome to TDP.

Have you tried looking under the truck for signs of oil leaking from the valve covers or the rear main seal? Or how about the oil return line from the turbo. You also want to take a look at the two lines running from the left side of the block to the oil cooler.

Give us a few more details to work with. ;)

Dan Lauzon
05-19-2011, 18:34
Thanks, I will have to put this exploration off until next week as I have to go to Kansas City and will not get back till Thursday.
I may need to change the doughnut gaskets on the crossover pipe as I do not thing the turbo is operating and/or it might be related to the cooling lines.
I was really wondering why the smoke only shows under high torque and not necessarily crankshaft speed. Dan.