PDA

View Full Version : Probably a re post but how do I time my new injection pump

Ms54Coupe
05-23-2011, 13:09
About to remove my pump (finally finding time to work on the truck again after moving) and wanted to know if I can do a home time on the pump or if I need to bring it somewhere?

Thanks,

Nate

JohnC
05-23-2011, 18:44
Put the pump in with the shutoff solenoid vertical. that should be close enough to get it running. To get it any better you need a way to read TDC offset from the PCM.

Robyn
05-25-2011, 06:05
I have a little trick that I have used many times.

Mark the old pump and the timing cover with a clean "ONE STRIKE" chissel mark across the IP and the cover.

Remove the Old IP

Now with the new one sitting side by side with the old one, carefully measure using a straight edge and a rule, the location of your mark on the flange of the OLD IP

The investment castings that are used in the Body of the IP are very close to the same for all of the Pumps made.

If you pick a clean flat spot on the side of the housing to pace your straight edge, and do the same on both pumps, you can locate a reference mark on your new IP that will be very very close on your new one.

The computer does the actual timing and as long as the IP is in a position that the stepper motor can adjust the timing within its limits it will work.

To get the absolute best setting requires a tech tool or other form of scanner that can access the ECM and do the TDC learn/Time set.

This little trick will get you close though.

If after the engine warms up, and you DO NOT get a SES light then your Good to go, at least until you can get the thing scanned.

Good luck

Missy

Ms54Coupe
05-27-2011, 06:38
Thanks People...I rushed and did not mark the injector lines when I took them off the back of the pump! Is there a diagram showing which cylinder goes to which port on the back of the new pump?????

DmaxMaverick
05-27-2011, 09:05
Try this:

http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/tdpforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=283&stc=1&d=1176770866

rameye
05-30-2011, 07:13
cmon...coupe I been waiting for you to get that girl running!!

I'm still waiting to see if you got a good deal on that truck..

I hope you moved closer so we can get that thing timed up!

Ms54Coupe
05-31-2011, 05:56
I'm still waiting to see if you got a good deal on that truck..

Me Too hahahahahahaha

Ms54Coupe
05-31-2011, 05:57
Try this:

http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/tdpforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=283&stc=1&d=1176770866

Thanks DMax!!! Perfect!

Ms54Coupe
06-06-2011, 12:03
Pump is off...bring on the rebuild/reassembly