PDA

View Full Version : Stanadyne Additives

chrisinkanata
05-23-2011, 15:13
I've recently had the FPR on my '02 D/A replaced and the tech recommended the use of Stanadyne to try and keep the fuel system a bit cleaner....I've seen several E-Bay sellers claiming an up to 8% increase in fuel mileage with Stanadyne. I've read numerous members here extolling the virtues of Stanadyne over the years but has anyone ever noticed a decrease in fuel consumption when treating fuel with Stanadyne? Even the Stanadyne site itself talks about better fuel mileage...any truth to this?

Thanks...

Chris

JohnC
05-23-2011, 18:54
I tracked the mileage in my '95 for 50,000 miles. About half of that was with Stanadyne, half without. I figured the increase at 2% to 2.5%, just enough to pay for the additive.

Kennedy
05-24-2011, 05:59
Stanadyne Performance formula is a good additive, and my second choice.

More Power
05-24-2011, 10:19
I've recently had the FPR on my '02 D/A replaced and the tech recommended the use of Stanadyne to try and keep the fuel system a bit cleaner....I've seen several E-Bay sellers claiming an up to 8% increase in fuel mileage with Stanadyne. I've read numerous members here extolling the virtues of Stanadyne over the years but has anyone ever noticed a decrease in fuel consumption when treating fuel with Stanadyne? Even the Stanadyne site itself talks about better fuel mileage...any truth to this?

Thanks...

Chris

Numerous fleet fuel economy tests have been conducted through the years (usually in concert with a fuel treatment company) in an effort to determine the economics of treating diesel fuel. Those tests have shown that a commercial diesel fuel additive, that contains a cetane improver, usually increases fuel economy enough to pay for the cost of treatment. Due to a much smaller sampling and sometimes significant changes in driving conditions over time, individual pickup owners have a much harder time identifying a fuel economy increase.

If you trust the fleet tests, you'll need a little faith to believe that whatever fuel economy you're getting is perhaps a little better because you're running treated fuel.

Many pickup owners can say that their truck smokes less, starts quicker and runs a little smoother with treated fuel. The anti-wear and cleaning properties provided by a quality fuel treatment are less apparent, but have been proven in the laboratory. Personally, I use a couple widely available commercial diesel fuel additives that advertise a range of properties, which include at a minimum: cetane booster, injector cleaner and additional fuel lubricity.

Jim

Vin7587
05-31-2011, 13:14
X2...I've tracked my fuel consumption and mileage (for tax purposes), and my mileage increase has been around 2 to 4%, depending on the use (more toward the higher percentage for long freeway use), which has justified the cost. I'm sure it has to do with the cetane boost.

Heartbeat Hauler
06-01-2011, 17:27
I've been using stanadyne performance formula almost from day one, and I have not noticed any real increase. Mostly I guess because my driving is not consistent enough (highway/city) to really notice just tenths-of-a-mile per gallon increase that could be attributed to the additive. If you are going to buy stanadyne performance formula, buy it for the good it'll do for the fuel system. I'm just tryin' to set your expectations because I doubt you'll notice big gains like 8%, which is like 1.2 mpg for me, more for the guys with fuel mileage in the upper teens or 20s.

Also, for the last few years I have started to add the stanadyne lubricity formula in addition to the performance formula. I did this because according to the lubricity test stanadyne performance formula performed just OK, definitely better than plain fuel, and better than some of the other products tested, but not great. Both treatments total about $3.50 per fill up.

I wait until it goes on sale, then buy a case (12-16oz bottles) or two of each. 1 bottle of Lubricity Formula treats 4 fill ups, the Performance Formula is 1 bottle to 2 fill ups. Each of these treatments is good for 30 gallons, but it usually takes me only 26 gallons to fill up, so I am over-treating just a bit. And, with todays inconsistent fuel quality available from station to station, over treating is not really a bad thing.... :D