PDA

View Full Version : help wont start

93punow
09-07-2004, 12:45
93 6.5 wont start when engine is hot but then again sometimes it does other than that trk runs find any ideas out there

charliepeterson
09-07-2004, 18:44
Being a '93 you have mechanical injection not electronic?

If the truck cranks and cranks and cranks, stop. Pour some tap water on the injection pump. This will cool it off just a bit so the clearances inside the injection pump are good. Over time these wear out and can't compress the fuel to make enough pressure to open the injectors. If this trick works you're in need of an Injection Pump RR most likely. Always look at the fuel supply first. The filter and some fuel conditioner help sometimes.

D. Witcraft
09-07-2004, 20:59
Just had this problem myself. How old is your starter? Mine sounded fine, but it sneaks up on you. Switched to new starter(which sounds like it spins the motor to 1000rpm+), voila, no starting problem.

Found this outfit on Ebay:

Mike Lewis
DB Electrical
call toll free 800-753-2242

$129.95, no core, starter looked great and works even better!

Partsnut

bobt
09-07-2004, 21:29
I think your problem could very well be the glow plug controller. Had the same problem in my '93 several years ago. Truck started fine when cold or when hot(just recently shut off). However, if it was off for about 20 -40 minutes, wouldn't start. If I waited a few more minutes until it cooled off more, then it would start. Problem was that glow plug controller was going bad (in my case from high engine heat). It didn't recognize that during this time frame, the engine had cooled off enough that it needed just a touch of glow plug to start. As soon as it cooled off slightly more, it would give a short glow and the truck would start right up. I replaced the controller and have never had this problem again.
Bob

93punow
09-09-2004, 06:56
does anyone know how to check glow plug controller?

cruzer
09-09-2004, 08:03
Go to the "members area". Then go to the troubleshooting guide. You'll find a chapter on the glow plug operation for your year truck.