PDA

View Full Version : 6.2 to 6.5 and now trans problem please help

chief4101
05-31-2011, 20:52
ok i got a 1993 k1500 had a 6.2 spun a bearing. the truck was in the yard for about 4 months. i put a na6.5 from a 1995 1ton van in the truck. i had no problems with the trans before the swap but as soon as i got the girl running again the trans was acting crazy. sometimes it would not shift but could be shifted manually and all the gears worked, sometimes it would stay in second when i would stop and the truck could move 6in and it would drop to low, things like that. then one day it just started acting normal and had no issues. i figured it was a stuck check ball or something like that.

well after about a week of normal my son drover her home one night parked her everything was fine. the next morning no 3rd or od.

changed the fluid and filter it was clean nothing in it to suggest any problem. so far we have changed the speed sensor, and the tps and yes i set it within limits.

so i take it to have the codes checked and the shop says their scanner cant even find the ecm.

i been tracing wires found out the ecm had no power on the ignition wires so i changed the ignition switc h and fixed that but it still has no 3rd or od.

any sugestions would be wonderful.

please help!!!!

chief4101
05-31-2011, 21:04
oh yeah its a 4L60E. almost forgot

john8662
06-01-2011, 06:51
Adjust the Throttle Position Sensor.

If this is out of range or disconnected the trans won't shift.

There are three wires on the TPS. The middle is a black wire that is a ground. You can take your volt meter (required tool for this adjustment) and stick the probe beside the wire in the weatherpack connector while the connector is connected to the TPS. Stick the Black to the Black. The other probe goes to one of the other wires. You'll figure this out. One will be a constant 5v, the other will be a varialble voltage wire. You want the varying one (that's not constant 5v).

Once probed and working you'll adjust the TPS to where you have .5V at IDLE. You're doing this with the engine not running of course.

J

chief4101
06-01-2011, 13:29
already been there i even changed it for another on i have that i know is good. i have it set at 0.49v at idle and it reads 4.97v at wot.

john8662
06-01-2011, 14:12
Sure it's a 4L60 "E" ?

Was there a Detent/TV cable connected on the engine?

Shifting manually is weird.

Check your grounds on the engine too maybe something in the harness is not grounded and the PCM that runs the Transmission isn't powered correctly.

You can retrieve Codes on the truck with a paper clip.

http://www.kennedydiesel.com/readcodes.html

J

chief4101
06-02-2011, 09:11
yep its an E the is no detent cable. i tried to pull the codes several times and there are non stored. ive added 2 extra grounds one from the battery on the pass side to the frame and one from the engine to the frame. any other ideas on where to add them?

john8662
06-02-2011, 10:07
By grounds I was mainly concerned with the condition and presence of the two that come out of the harness and terminate at the passenger's side rear of the engine on the stud holding down the blockoff plate on the head. Sometimes this is on a stud on the intake too.

J