PDA

View Full Version : Electronical vs mechanical fuel pump

sjokomelk
06-02-2011, 08:57
This is my first post here, and I tried to search for this information, but couldn't seem to find what I am looking for. But please send me links to relevant info.

We have a '94 3500 big dually crewcab with a 6.5 turbo with a 4L-80E in it. We want to swap the engine with an engine we used to run in our 84 C30 big dually crewcab. The engine is a 6.5 turbo with 18:1 Peninsular pistons and a mechanical fuel pump and injectors set to give about 320HP.

What is our best choice in the "new" truck? Convert it to mechanical fuel pump, or is there any way to get the same amount of power with a electronical pump?

Thank you for all your help!

Please excuse my English. I hope you all understand what I write.

6.5 Detroit Diesel
06-02-2011, 09:21
DS4 moves way more fuel then the DB2, and still a fair bit more then the DB4.

Main difference is that the DB2 mechanical only has the 2 plungers while all the EFI IP's had four.

a program will give you plently of power, but if you are looking to pull 320HP out of a 6.5, you obviously know that there will be some work involved

john8662
06-02-2011, 10:20
Depends on the mechanical injection pump.

4911, around the same max as a DS4 chipped out max.
Marine 4974 with the .330 plungers moves more fuel, would make the 325HP if tweaked a bunch (it's rated as a 275HP 6.2 DB2).

Technical question: Which MFI pump do you have (will need model number starts with DB2-83X XXXX)?

If your truck was a stick shift I'd say just throw it in as-is and run it, since it's an automatic, this get's sticky. Tranmission won't work correctly w/o a standalone controller, or some kind of conversion involving components from a 92-93 MFI 6.5 pickup. Bobbie Martin has a DS4-DB2 guide that covers all those details.

Personally, I'd covert the engine to a DS4 electronic pump off your donor engine and buy a performance chip to crank up the DS4. But, I like the DS4 and the electronics that make the engine more civil.

All you have to do is stip off the MFI components off your other engine, then transplant the EFI components off your donor engine. Pump, lines, front timing cover and install timing chain reluctor wheel (if not already present).

I won't go into detail in this post on how to swap components (that info is already here on the forum), but the recomendation is keep the application of the truck the same, EFI 6.5TD.