PDA

View Full Version : 1999 Tahoe diesel

Edahall
06-06-2011, 00:29
My 1982 Suburban with the 6.2L has rusted out and I have found a 1999 Chevy Tahoe, 2 wheel drive with a blown engine but otherwise in good condition for $900. What would be involved in swapping the engine and transmission from my 1982 Suburban into this 1999 Tahoe?

JohnC
06-06-2011, 06:30
Depends on what engine is in the Tahoe now. If it's gas, start with a waiver from the EPA...

Robyn
06-06-2011, 06:43
Sounds like a fun project

This sort of a swap is doable.

The 6.2 will drop right in and go to work.

The exhaust will need to be changed to work with the N/A engine if you do not wish to use the turbo.

The turbo will not readily fit onto your 6.2 as the heads are slightly different.
The injector angle is different and the injectors are shorter on the 6.5 engines to allow the turbo manifold to fit.

NOW____ I have seen a spacer used to allow things to fit.

The IP can be turned up a tad to fuel a bit more with the turbo.

Get rid of the computer and pull the SES light as it will complain misserably.

This is an OBD2 system on this year of truck.

The other option is to use the existing tranny and an aftermarket stand alone tranny controller.

The serp drive belt system and the accessories will all fit your 6.2 just fine.

MUST USE THE 6.5 WATER PUMP ****** !!!!!!!

If you gut the Tahoe and use your existing tranny, you will probably need to do a tad bit of Mods on the tranny mount and the drive shaft.

You will need to remove the APPS (throttle pedal unit) from the Tahoe and replace it with a Tahoe Gasser pedal assembly and then knock out the cable access hole in the firewall and reuse your cable from the Burb.

if I were doing this, I would use the 82 tranny and keep the thing as simple as possible.

The shift cable assembly used on the later trucks may present a challenge to adapt to the older tranny.

I have not done one of these sooooo ?????

Use the sensors for the temp gauge, oil pressure and such from the Tahoe.

Keep in mind though, the computer does run the lift pump to supply fuel to the IP.

If you totally remove the computer the lift pump will not work.

The nice part is that you can use the manual fuel pump and just reroute the fuel lines a bit and take the electric pump out of the system.

Or you can keep the electric pump and modify how it receives power.

Doing a swap that spans this many years can get a tad bit interesting in a couple places.

Its all workable, just need to get a plan worked out on paper and decide how you want to proceed.

A nice custom dual exhaust would be cool on that truck.

Its all doable, your just going to have to be creative.

A couple trips to the bone yard will likely be in order. :D

Keep us posted.

Missy

JohnC
06-06-2011, 07:00
But, what's he going to do when he tries to get it inspected? If the VIN says gas it'll fail. If it says Diesel it's a crap shoot...

Edahall
06-06-2011, 10:05
I left out a couple bits of information. The Tahoe is gas and has a 350. I would use my 700R4 transmission since it's built up. Can my rear axle be used or the width is different? I like the 3.08 ratio for good fuel economy and good towing

Edahall
06-06-2011, 16:27
But, what's he going to do when he tries to get it inspected? If the VIN says gas it'll fail. If it says Diesel it's a crap shoot...

Fortunately, we don't have emissions inspection where we live.

DmaxMaverick
06-06-2011, 19:39
Fortunately, we don't have emissions inspection where we live.

We didn't here, either (California). Do now.

JohnC
06-06-2011, 19:48
I thought California invented emissions inspections!

Edahall: No inspection for gas vehicles? Not even an ODB 2 scan?

DmaxMaverick
06-06-2011, 19:57

Just started Diesel inspections last year, but they only go back to 1998 M/Y's. Been doing gassers since Henry was in diapers.

The Diesel inspection is a joke. The tech inspects for the "appearance" of required equipment to be present, checks the tailpipe for excessive smoke (visual, at idle and "light" throttle in neutral). If the SES lamp isn't on, it passes. 5 minutes and $50.

They do a dyno test on gassers. I'm exempt because where I live (makes sense, to me ???). The cars only get the "OBD plugin", tailpipe stick and a computer read. Good thing they don't do the dyno on Diesels. There aren't many around here that wouldn't rip the thing out of the floor.

Edahall
06-07-2011, 05:18

Well, that used to be true when we were living in CA but we've moved to TX where all they do is an inspection that is not much more than checking that your lights and windshield wipers work.

But you're right, if we were still living in CA, I would for sure look for a vehicle 1997 and older to avoid the OBD 2 gestapo. This is one the reasons I chose a 1990 Suburban for the Cummins conversion. The other reason was that it had a solid front axle that would support such weight of a Cummins. But since the 6.2 is fairly light weight, it would be just fine in a Tahoe.

Anyways, I'm going to look at the Tahoe in a few days assuming it's still there.

Robyn
06-07-2011, 06:31
Still sounds like a fun project.

As it is a gasser now there are a couple things to deal with.

The fuel pump in the tank is going to need to be changed out. The high pressure unit used on the gas injection is too much for the infeed of the diesel IP

The computer controls the in tank pump too.

All sorts of cool challenges to think about.

We have emissions testing here (Portland area, but not out here where I am)

Diesels over 8500 GVW are not required to be inspected.

All that testing stuff really makes engine swaps a nightmare.

I would be more in favor of safety testing and forget whats coming out the tail pipe.

I have seen vehicles running down the road that should not be, due to poor tires, faulty brakes and other such stuff.

People will pony up the $$$ to get the damned thing to pass emissions but the brakes wont stop it :eek:

Its been 70 years ++ since we had vehicle safety inspections.

Would make more sense to have safe cars on the road that the steering and brakes work, dont ya think ?? Oh and tires with tread on them.

Missy

arveetek
06-13-2011, 13:23
.....all they do is an inspection that is not much more than checking that your lights and windshield wipers work....

That's all we have in Missouri (although I believe St. Louis and KC have emissions checks). Most inspection stations just check lights, wipers, horn, and give a quick glance at the brakes. Some will crawl under and look for the cat. converter as well. That's about it.

Casey

Edahall
06-14-2011, 05:53
That's all we have in Missouri (although I believe St. Louis and KC have emissions checks). Most inspection stations just check lights, wipers, horn, and give a quick glance at the brakes. Some will crawl under and look for the cat. converter as well. That's about it.

Casey

They also check for cracked windshields but it'll still pass if the crack doesn't run right in front of your vision.

Update: The seller didn't have the title but it should arrive later this week so I'll check that Tahoe out once the title arrives.

Also, was the diesel only offered on the 4X4 2 door Tahoe/Yukon? This Tahoe is 4 doors so it might be a rare bird if it's converted to diesel.

Robyn
06-14-2011, 06:36
The 4 door Tahoe was not offered with a diesel, only the 2 door version

Never understood why they did not offer the 4 door Tahoe with the 6.5, but they never did.

My only guess would be the cost of getting the model EPA certified.

Should turn a few heads though as you Rattle along. :D

Missy

DmaxMaverick
06-14-2011, 10:16
They also check for cracked windshields but it'll still pass if the crack doesn't run right in front of your vision.

Update: The seller didn't have the title but it should arrive later this week so I'll check that Tahoe out once the title arrives.

Also, was the diesel only offered on the 4X4 2 door Tahoe/Yukon? This Tahoe is 4 doors so it might be a rare bird if it's converted to diesel.

The 4 doors were never offered with a Diesel in this country. South of the border, they are very common. They were factory'd in Mexico and Brazil. I don't know if any of them were built here, but if they were, they were all exported. If you convert one, it will be unique, indeed.

I don't know if the Diesel was offered in a 4x2 Tahoe/Yukon. I've never seen/heard of one, but that doesn't mean they didn't.

handcannon
06-15-2011, 10:22
A four door diesel Tahoe has been a dream of mine for a little while now. I like the shorter wheelbase, the four doors, and the possible good fuel economy from the NA 6.2.

Anybody know what the first year of the tahoe was? Were there any that were OBD1?

Don

Edahall
06-18-2011, 16:15
A four door diesel Tahoe has been a dream of mine for a little while now. I like the shorter wheelbase, the four doors, and the possible good fuel economy from the NA 6.2.

Anybody know what the first year of the tahoe was? Were there any that were OBD1?

Don

From wikipedia:
The new GMC Yukon was introduced for 1992, while Chevrolet continued calling their version the Blazer. All were 2-door models through 1994. In 1995 the Chevy changed the name of the Blazer to Tahoe and introduced a 4-door version. The Tahoe was Motor Trend magazine's Truck of the Year for 1996.

Anything pre 1995 would have been OBD1.

Edahall
06-18-2011, 16:31
Looks like I got a another project on my hands now. I ended up buying the 99 Tahoe today for $700. The owner was tired of it sitting and was glad to get rid of it. The interior is very nice and other than some rock chips, the exterior paint is not too bad. I used a tow bar to yank it home. I thought I was going to have to remove the bumper but luckily, I found some big bolts at the bottom of the bumper that I was able to attach my tow bar to. It wasn't the best setup but it worked. For the 200 mile trip, I had to re-tighten the bolts several times. I used my 1990 Suburban with the Cummins to tow it and it did very well. I get around 20 mpg towing a load like this on the Cummins. Of course, there is not so much wind resistance pulling this.

I also included a picture of the engine carnage. The owner told me it happened right in his driveway. And there was a big oil stain on the otherwise pristine driveway to prove it. Anyways, I don't think there is any recovery on this engine so it will be yanked out in favor of a clankety clank 1982 6.2 N/A diesel that uses a lot less fuel.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v48/rhedahl/P1090993.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v48/rhedahl/P1090995.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v48/rhedahl/P1090994.jpg

arveetek
06-18-2011, 19:45
Sweet! That'll make a nice rig.

I love my diesel Tahoe! I still think the older boxy (81-87) body style trucks look the best from the outside, but the later (now OBS) 88-98 trucks are much nicer while inside the truck! My '95 is such a comfortable cruiser. I think you'll enjoy driving the newer vehicle.

Casey

JohnC
06-22-2011, 18:50
Well, that used to be true when we were living in CA but we've moved to TX where all they do is an inspection that is not much more than checking that your lights and windshield wipers work.

All,
Installed Kennedy's 3.5" exhaust systems on the Tahoe and the Burb over 7 or so months ago. Very happy. I didn't think I would get hassled on the nonexistent cat, yet at inspection this year I was failed due to no cat. I'm in a very small rural central Texas town and bummed it happened here, nonetheless I need two (2) missing cat 'Solutions'. Can anyone help me source two -very- high flow 3.5' cats to put on. I believe the inspector even stated clearly that they don't even have to work! Just need to be there. I've found some 3" cat solutions cheap and very high flow, but nothing in 3.5'.
Any help appreciated.
BTW: I scrapped out my old cats thinking they were no longer useful, and were both quite clogged.
Thanks

Mark
these are the 10 characters

Edahall
06-23-2011, 08:37
JohnC,
Thanks for making me aware. It appears that each inspection shop may check for different things or each county has different rules for what they check. When I brought in my 1990 Suburban converted to Cummins, they did not check for a CAT. Nor did they check when I brought in our 1997 OBDII Lincoln. However this doesn't mean that they won't start checking and Murphy's law says they'll start checking as soon as I convert this Tahoe to diesel.

Right now, it's not the emissions that's the road block but it's simply being able to find a serpentine belt setup from a 1996 and newer 6.5L engine. These engines are very rare compared to Cummins and Powerstokes where we live in TX but I'm going to give myself until fall to find one. If I can't, I may scrap the whole idea of converting it to diesel.

JohnC
06-23-2011, 08:51
You never know. the 1990 Burb with diesel wouldn't have had one and the Lincoln probably would code if it was removed. Do they scan the Lincoln? Problem may be that when they enter the VIN it'll tell them to scan it, or look for something, like a restrictor in the fuel neck, that you won't have.

Here in NH there is no emissions inspection for the D-max but the Yukon gets scanned since the VIN says it is gas.

Edahall
06-23-2011, 11:00
You never know. the 1990 Burb with diesel wouldn't have had one and the Lincoln probably would code if it was removed. Do they scan the Lincoln? Problem may be that when they enter the VIN it'll tell them to scan it, or look for something, like a restrictor in the fuel neck, that you won't have.

Here in NH there is no emissions inspection for the D-max but the Yukon gets scanned since the VIN says it is gas.

The 1990 Suburban originally had a 350 gas engine in it along with all the emission stuff. They didn't scan the Lincoln when I brought it in. The way it worked was I sat in the drivers seat while they told me to turn on the windshield wipers, headlights, press on the brakes and turn the right and left signals on. That said, I would be out of luck if I were living in Houston since they check emissions there. So for now, I think I'm OK here.

Edahall
07-30-2011, 06:09
Alright, I just located a 1996 Chevy 6.5L diesel truck 200 miles away that someone is parting out. What I need is all the parts to make my 1982 6.2L fit into the 1999 Tahoe that has a bad 350 gas engine in it.

I plan on getting the completely serpentine system off the parts truck including the water pump. Do I need the alternator as well or the 350 alternator will bolt up? How about the fan?

Any other parts from the truck I should get to complete the conversion? How about the radiator?

DmaxMaverick
07-30-2011, 08:55
You'll need everything from the radiator to the transfer case (or transmission, if it's 2wd). If you use the Tahoe tranny, it'll need a controller ($$). The accessories may or may not be compatible. Compare them. You will also need the hydroboost unit, master cylinder (as well as the power steering pump), and related plumbing. If the hydroboost is leaking, it's probably due for replacement, but get it anyway, as a "bad" part. You'll need a core when you replace it. The core is worth about $40. If the master cylinder is bad, don't worry about it, buy a new one (NOT a reman). The 99 MC may fit and work, but you may have issues with the ABS.

There's a lot more to it than just this. Start a thread in the Conversion Forum and work your project start to finish.

Edahall
01-20-2012, 09:25
Here are some pictures of the Vortec 350 engine carnage. I found out that I can buy a short block for $150. Anyways, I'm still on the fence on whether to stay with gas or convert to diesel. I was going to go ahead with the diesel swap but some people are claiming 20-23 mpg with a Vortec 350. Will the radiator from the 82 be made to fit into the 99?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v48/rhedahl/P1100055.jpg

Oil pan full of metal

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v48/rhedahl/P1100057.jpg

Damaged Crankshaft

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v48/rhedahl/P1100058.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v48/rhedahl/P1100059.jpg

Engine Block Damage

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v48/rhedahl/P1100063.jpg

Col.Tanner
10-14-2014, 21:22
Did you do the swap? :D:confused::) Thanks

Edahall
11-02-2014, 18:12
Did you do the swap? :D:confused::) Thanks

No I haven't done the swap. Finding a serpentine setup from a newer 6.5 vehicle has been the bottleneck.

Col.Tanner
11-09-2014, 18:01
That sucks! My buddy wants to do the same swap. :D:D

Edahall
11-10-2014, 21:35
That sucks! My buddy wants to do the same swap. :D:D

I highly recommend that a complete donor vehicle be bought to accomplish this swap. Finding all the parts to make this work is daunting. If I didn't live in Texas where it's so hot in the summer, I would forget about the AC and run the old V-belt setup.

I'm sure a lot of people here don't like to hear this but I think that a Cummins 6bt swap is a smarter way to go in the long run as long as you're willing to shift gears. I've got 2 Chevy's that have had this engine swap and they've been super reliable. These engines usually outlast the truck they were in so used parts are readily available. They are also less noisy if you find one with a VE pump.

With diesel being much more costly than diesel, the Chevy 5.3 might be the way to go. They just lack low RPM torque. :-(

john8662
11-11-2014, 14:45
I second the donor vehicle part.

I'm doing something similar as for a conversion, maybe start it this next summer. Doing a 1997 2 Door 2WD Tahoe to 6.5TD. I've got a line 1998 C3500 that I'm going to make an offer on that's got all the wiring and a blown engine for the brackets, etc.

I want to make it look like it came factory.

I'm going to do my own ECM work as I got setup to do that, so tuning it to be fun won't be much of a problem.

This winter I will enjoy the cheap gas prices verses diesel though by using the 5.7 in the tahoe.

5.3? I had a 2WD Suburban with that in it, even geared 3.73 that was the worst power wise engine I think I've ever owned. It's a car engine that has no business in a truck. I'm a firm 5.3 hater, piece of junk. I like the old 17 head bolt small blocks like the 5.7 though, mainly the vortec 5.7.

AKMark
11-12-2014, 12:10
Dang, I had a 5.3 in an Avalanche with 3.42 gears, it pulled a 10K trailer up the AlCan Highway just fine. I never had a problem with power. Got over 20 mpg on the highway when it wasn't towing.

AfterhoursFab
11-15-2014, 07:51
So that truck has been sitting for 2 years bc you can't find a serp setup? That's hard to believe, I have at least 3 6.5td trucks in my local upullit and they're all mostly there besides the occasional missing IP.

I've done a lot of LS swaps too and they do indeed get 18-20 mpg on the highway and they haul pretty decent as well.

Edahall
12-05-2014, 15:30
So that truck has been sitting for 2 years bc you can't find a serp setup? That's hard to believe, I have at least 3 6.5td trucks in my local upullit and they're all mostly there besides the occasional missing IP.

I've done a lot of LS swaps too and they do indeed get 18-20 mpg on the highway and they haul pretty decent as well.

There are very few 6.5td trucks here in southern TX. And even more rare is a 96 and newer OBDII 6.5td that has the serpentine setup that I need.