PDA

View Full Version : Starting Problems

Stratosurfer
06-06-2011, 20:51
All,
Tahoe developed starting problems a few weeks ago, click and no start: determined to be starter and some cable issues. Just yesterday and today I have developed a similar click and no start. Batts are good. I wait a few and it starts. Replaced Starter relay this evening. After a few starts running errands. Same click and no start, wait and it starts.
So to review: Batts tested very good, new Delco starter, new BW starter relay, battery cables/terminals replaced.
What is left for me to look at? Can this be my ignition switch?
Any thoughts appreciated.
Mark

JohnC
06-07-2011, 07:21
Is it the starter solenoid that is clicking? If so, it's most likely a bad connection somewhere, regardless of what you think. Start with the double connection on the passenger's side battery (+).

Stratosurfer
06-07-2011, 17:55
Is it the starter solenoid that is clicking? If so, it's most likely a bad connection somewhere, regardless of what you think. Start with the double connection on the passenger's side battery (+).

Not sure if it's the starter solenoid that's clicking. It only makes one quick, loud 'CLICK" then nothing. My mechanic suspects the New Delco Starter as there is little left to be problematic. I personally checked all 4 batt terminals up top, all good.
Question: does this '97 have a security lockout? I think my 98 Burb does but not this guy. My mech asked me if there is an orange 'SECURITY' light on my dash before cranking, I couldn't see one.
Seems that now when it won't start, if I return the switch to the key remove position, then try it again a few times it will start.
Open to suggestions.
Mark

rbeasley
06-09-2011, 06:37
I had the problem and, as JohnC pointed out, found the answer in a poor connection at the passenger side positive terminal. Over time the "diesel spacer" between the two + cables had lost depth. The tightened terminal was hitting bottom on the battery rather than being truly tight. Adding a new "diesel spacer" NAPA 728193 solved my problem. Your voltmeter might point to other sources of the problem. Drop to zero on start says cabling while a couple volt drop says current is flowing somewhere - solenoid/starter. No drop suggests maybe loose/dirty connectors, neutral safety switch circuit?

Robert

1999 Tahoe 6.5L 185,000 miles

rustyk
06-09-2011, 17:11
Battery grounds...also, a quick check for battery/ground connections is to turn the headlights on; if they dim way down, it's likely a connection issue.

HH
06-10-2011, 07:59
Had a similar problem, chased it for a long time. Finally replaced the wire to the solenoid. Check connections first. Look at the wire going to the solenoid also.

At one point I had to use a scewdriver to jump the solenoid to get it started, then the next day it would be fine. Every change I made seemed to improve it, only to have it crop up again a day or several starts later.