PDA

View Full Version : pulling 5th wheel 2008 duramax 2500 shortbox

gfx duramax
06-08-2011, 15:43
I was thinking of getting a 13,000lb 5th wheel toyhauler i have a 2008 duramax crew with short box. Anyone pulling that kind of weight with a shortbox with a Slider Fifth Wheel Hitch? just wanna kno how it will handle and any feedback would help thanks.

EdHale
06-09-2011, 04:32
I am. My 5'er weighs 14,500. I do not have a slider hitch since the front of my 5'er is designed for short box trucks.

No problems here.

DmaxMaverick
06-09-2011, 05:39
Welcome aboard!

I have thousands of miles on my 2001 EC/SB with heavies. My latest 5'er is also "designed" for a short box, but the slider is still very handy, and necessary for parking it at my home (I have to do a 3 point U-turn in a very tight area). Only once did I not slide when I should have (brainfart). Lesson learned. Handling on the road is no different than any other with a similar wheel base.

christophersond
06-09-2011, 06:39
I also have a short bed truck, and tow a 5th wheel. I've towed with, and with out a slider hitch. I currently have a Reese 16K slider, and only slide it to the back position when backing it in next to my garage. An extended pin box on the 5th wheel is a must. It doesn't matter whether you have a short bed, or a long bed truck, you have to pay attention to what you're doing or the potential for damaging the truck and 5th wheel is there. One of your main concerns should be the weight. Toy haulers can be much heavier than a normal 5th wheel due to on-board generators, fuel tanks, extra capacity water tanks, and so forth. Check out the pin weight of the toy hauler before making a decision to buy it. Happy hauling.:)