PDA

View Full Version : Performance upgrades Do's and Dont's..feedback???

Ms54Coupe
06-09-2011, 08:12
I want to get a little more pep out of my 6.5 and am looking for feedback from you guys on what worked and what did not...what was affordable and what was not...what you would do again and what you would avoid.

Thanks!

Nate

john8662
06-09-2011, 14:37
The best performance comes from when it's running. Do you have the injection pump on and engine running?

Ms54Coupe
06-10-2011, 05:07
Very hurtfull words John! :)

The pump is actually at Stanadyne getting bench tested. When I get it back I'll dig into the reassembly but once it is up and running I'll probably be looking to free up some HP so I thought I would start researching now.

racer55
06-10-2011, 06:37
Diamond Eye 3" down pipe to 4" exhaust with/without muffler depending on your sound preference.It's priced right IMO as an added bonus.

K-47 airbox with stock paper filter or amsoil 100,000 mile filter-avoid K&N.
If equipped remove the fender snorkel.

Kennedy special calibration fan clutch and 20" fan to keep the engine cool.

When I can afford it and am satisfied the other mods I have done are complete I intend to get an ECM tune from:

KOJO-Kennedy-Westers Garage or Heath,not really sure at this point who 's would suit my needs best since I haven't decided what my needs are.

Those are a small start for your list.

Ms54Coupe
06-10-2011, 08:23
Awesome! Found Diamond Eye full exhaust for 275 shipped!

racer55
06-10-2011, 08:55
Awesome! Found Diamond Eye full exhaust for 275 shipped!
Sounds about right,good system too!

I forgot to mention replacing the stock exhaust crossover pipe with a 2 1/2" is not a bad idea either.
It would be nice if Diamond Eye would add the crossover to thier kit.

FastEddy
06-12-2011, 07:44
I would put gauges as my first upgrade, once there now you can observe changes as they happen," aha my bigger exhaust really does run cooler EGT's"
Exhaust temp. before turbo seems to be more reliable and faster to respond, you can buy a new Stainless Steel crossover with a bung welded in for the thermocouple., i however used an after turbo sensor and gauge, lesson learned, (my Dmax got the preturbo setup)
Boost gauge 15# should do as starting point
Transmission temp. i put mine in a T just before the output line went to the coolers, read some threads on here I think theres a way to plumb it right ibto the tranmission body, tha might be even more accurate.
Kennedy and other vendors can supply all the above
I used a 3 guage full pillar mount, that provides plenty of room to run tubing/wires... down thru the A pillar.
good luck, be nice and survive, Ed