PDA

View Full Version : 6.2L 91 Crew Cab Opportunity

tomtaylor
06-10-2011, 21:28
Was hoping I could get an experienced opinion about value on this. I'm in Alberta Canada and I just came across a 91 GMC Crew Cab 3500 but the guy is asking $15,000. Although I know this is becoming quite rare to find It's not the high trim model. most good to great condition CC of this vintage I have found in the USA or Canada have been in the$10k to $20K range.

Here are the stats;
It's all factory I was told with only 140k KM (87.5K miles) (was originally an airport truck) I took it for a short drive and it seems to have lots of power.

6.2L recent rebuild with mahale pistons, ARP head studs, main stud girdle. ATS aftermarket turbo. owner was not sure of rebuild CR but he thinks it was stock. He said the Inj pump and injectors were not done. Unit was converted to serpentine belt with dual alternators. Electric supplement fuel pump with fuel pres gage.

Factory 4L80E w/lockup redone by local diesel performance rebuilder and factory 205 TC

Dana 60 disc front/Dana 70 drum rear with Offroad Design 4" 3/4T susp lift and 1" body lift. 35" tire with lots of tread left. Not sure why he down graded to 3/4T springs, maybe for the ride quality. Said diffs and brakes have all been done.

Has tilt steering, power windows (one doesn't work) No AC on this model. Upgraded newer model Suburban power mirrors (power doesn't work never been connected, doors with pwr win & mir may have all come off a Sub with the wiring harness, not sure) Tachometer no longer wired in, works off alternator. Oops forgot to look for cruise control, dont think it was there or I would have noticed.

Repainted a while back from the original airport yellow to 2tone blue, but slight buckle in drivers box side and slight rust bubble on drivers frt fender. the rest looks nice and straight. Nice blue int with factory style buckets and two center consoles. Upgraded stereo system.

Have not seen any records of work done yet but have asked to speak to the engine rebuilder.

I think that's about it, any opinions? thanks. (I posted a picture of it in the photo album)

JohnC
06-11-2011, 07:06
$15K for a 20 year old truck? I'm not up on Canadian pricing, but it sounds at least $10K to high to me. I tried to sell my '93 with 50K miles (ok, not a CC, but...) when it was 10 years old and couldn't get $5K for it.

(Did you mean $1500 ?)

trbankii
06-11-2011, 10:10
Another vote for high.

The problem is that it sounds like he put a lot of work into fixing it up and now wants to get that back out of selling it. Not going to happen with a 20 year old truck unless you're talking full-on restoration of a desirable model.

I can see more than $5K for it considering the work, but I doubt he'd get more than $10K for it.

87max
06-11-2011, 11:22
Thats a 5k truck at best. You can get a duramax truck for 15k. NO comparison!

Robyn
06-11-2011, 13:38
Kelley Blue Book places that truck at around $3500

Now there are special circumstances that will make the truck worth a little more but not worth $15K

In 2007 I bought my 95 Dually crew cab 4x4 and its is loaded with the goodies.

Paid $8k for that one.

The guy is looking for far more than the truck will ever bring.

Missy

tomtaylor
06-11-2011, 14:46
Hey Robyn the price is $15,000.00. I have seen several of these old body style CC 1T trucks adv here and around the USA in this $10k - $20k price range. I guess people think it's justified because they are hard to find???

One guy in Washington state was asking about $18,000 for mint orignal with 62k on it and I thought he was crazy but these kind of ads keep popping up. A few months later I contacted him again to ask if he was still trying to get the 18k and he said no....then he told me you cant find a truck like this anywhere now and the price is now $45,000.00...INCREDIBLE! That truck will be in a garage for another 100 yrs before it ever sees that price and maybe not even then.

Thanks for the input everyone.

Robyn
06-12-2011, 07:57
I live out here in the Pacific NW, inland from the coast.

We routinely see 1955 Chevies in Original paint still plying the highways.

These old creatures are not an every day occurance, but they are here. The same goes for the older Pickups, Blazers and Burbs.

The prices vary widely depending on the condition, but the $$$ amounts you are talking would be over the top even here.

There are exceptions and one can find really lovely rigs with very low miles for sale. These can fetch a grand price, IF someone is willing to pay it.

Out here, K5 Blazers in top shape will fetch a good price.

I have seen some real JUNK bringing some serious $$$$$$

Hardly a week goes by that I dont get a few offers to buy my 89 K5

I found a very low mile (low 50K) 1991 K5, Silverdo trim, 4x4, 6.2 diesel
for sale. Fellow was asking $10K

Out here he is not going to get it. Folks are all into Prius' and crap like that.

That K5 should get 25 MPG Hwy and 18 City easily. That truck was like new. Guys father bought it new and only used it to go camping in the summer.

Never been wheeled or thrashed in any way. Always garaged at home and never driven in the winter. ???????????

It even smelled like new.

You dont see them like that very often.

If I had the extra $10K laying around I would buy it, but I am a cheap date :D

Then there are the the flip side of the coin folks that view these old rigs as trash no matter how nice they are and will practically give them away.

There was a 95 2 door Tahoe 4x4 with a 6.5 that recently sold locally for $500 :eek:

I missed it by minutes. :( All that was wrong with it was a bad PMD.

Thing would fire off, engine would scream then die.

75000 Original miles on that Tahoe

Good deals can come around every so often for sure.

Missy

KidKodiak
08-04-2011, 13:19
Hey Tom,

How do you intend on using the truck you're looking for?

I paid $2,000 USD for my M1009 CUCV (K5 Blazer) from Oklahoma, just across the Texas border. It has low miles and the engine is clean as a whistle and super strong. It came with 5 Goodyear Silent Armor 31 x 10.5 tires. Still have the blue stuff on the white lettering.

$2,000 USD and a little patience can afford you a cherry M1008 or M1028 CUCV (Chevy 1 1/4 ton Pickup) from a southern state. They all have the 6.2L diesel and the Turbo 400 trans.

With the extra $13k in your hand you can make it your dream truck.

Ryan

tomtaylor
10-03-2012, 08:51
Hey KidKodiak,
Sorry I guess I missed your post a long time back but I will reply now anyway. I don't have a specific plan on what to use my truck for but it would be a recreation vehicle with some towing. I only want a 4x4 because it just makes sense if you have a truck, I don't use that a lot. Also I really like the look of the CC body and in many cases the extra seating prevents you from having to take to vehicle to your destination.

I have looked at a lot of military trucks for sale and even tried to buy one or two but they went for more than I would pay. I would like to find a deal like yours eventually. I always wondered if they put a heavier frame in those than the regular 1 Tons or if they just upgraded the running gear to be 5/4 ton capacity?