PDA

View Full Version : Temp gauges

marktara
01-27-2004, 17:14
Why can't you use a water temp gauge instead of a transmission temp gauge? Just thought it would be a hole lot cheaper to buy and their both measuring temp

gmctd
01-27-2004, 17:50
Over-all ranges are usually different, but the Water Temp vs Transmission Oil Temp nomenclature is usually the deciding factor, where several temperature gages are installed.

I, on the other hand :rolleyes: , use a modified Transmission Oil Temp gage for Intake Air Temp gage, to the left of the Boost Press gage so I'll hopefully remember what I'm lookng at.
EGT is to right of Boost.
Engine Oil Temp is to the right of that, real Transmission Oil Temp to the right of that.

If it works for you - go for it, right?

marktara
01-27-2004, 18:39
What i'm wandering is if both sending units are the same

gmctd
01-27-2004, 19:15
Water can change temperature quicker than oil, so that should not be a problem.
If the water temp probe is metallic, where the emersed end is sealed, no problem.

A plastic or nylon probe would not be a good idea, due to higher possible temps, and may deteriorate in oil.
Don't want to spring a leak here.

Water sender for water gage, oil sender for oil gage - any other combintion may be electrically incompatible.

If you're using a mechanical bulb and tube gage, it doesn't matter, where temp range is suitable, and you can seal the probe.

pannhead
01-27-2004, 19:53
i had super luck on ebay and got an AIT autometer phantom gauge for $50 :eek: (same concept as EGT),goes from 0 to 300 degrees, and its reaction speed is as good as a speedometer ....since i already have triple pillar gauges, i got the steering column pod...with the AIT gauge, turning the intercooler on and off REALLY shows the efficiency and benefit of intercooling...i did some primitive tests (15 psi) ..with intercooler OFF i can easily exceed 200 degree intake temps without much effort...same test with intercooler ON i cant get it over 80 degrees....IMHO, reducing AIT temps is very important when trying to get to those higher hp numbers...with both gauges its easy to see how AIT and EGT go hand in hand

gmctd
01-27-2004, 21:13
That's a steal on that IAT gage - iirc they're running around 298 bucks.

And that's scientific fact - lower base temps, operating temps lower accordingly.

Charge air coolers work - I'm champing at the bit, looking for a TIG rig to set mine up for installation before this summer.

pannhead
02-08-2004, 10:04
gmctd...there is a complete AIT gauge set-up on e-bay item# 2458364035

pannhead
02-08-2004, 10:23
gmctd..this one looks cool except i dont like the "celsius" thing though...item# 2458877316

gmctd
02-08-2004, 16:58
Thanks for the tip.
Even tho we're supposed to be metric by now, I really find it difficult to relate C to F.
Guess after a lifetime of freezing at 27deg, I expect coldly chilling temps, rather than t-shirt weather.

Peter J. Bierman
02-09-2004, 13:55
You get used to it, I did :D

Peter