PDA

View Full Version : Wastegate not functioning - help.

schaack2
06-12-2011, 19:12
Got my engine reassembled and i noticed that my wastegate was not closing. Checked the vacuum supply at the wastegate solenoid and its strong. Connected the vacuum directly to the wastegate and it pulls in with ease. Connected everything back the way it was and its still not drawing it in.

I swapped the hoses at the wastegate solenoid and the wastegate pulled in as it should. If i rev the engine though, i don't see the wastegate modulating. So a couple questions...

Does it matter which port the vacuum is connected to vs the wastegate on the wastegate solenoid? If so, which one should go where?

Also, I do have a check engine code that turned on... How do i know if the wastegate solenoid is bad vs the intake manifold pressure sensor?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Robyn
06-13-2011, 07:26
Did the SES light come on after you swapped the hoses ???

The wastegate will not do anything by reving the engine alone.

The ECM has to see BOOST in the intake and will modulate it when it reaches the specified limit for the particular fueling situation.

About 8 PSI is the high limit with stock programing.

If the wastegate solenoid is bad it will set a code.

If the SES set after you swapped the lines then the issue may well be the Solenoid.

Get the codes read so you can see what you are dealing with.

Keep us posted

Missy

JohnC
06-13-2011, 08:09
One of the connections on the solenoid has a restrictor in it. I think it is the forward one, but check. the pump connects to the restrictor and the actuator to the unrestricted port.

racer55
06-14-2011, 09:06
The pump connects to the front port and the wastegate to the rear port.