PDA

View Full Version : 1995 N/A G20 troubles

phantom309
06-14-2011, 10:09
I want to buy a nice 95 G20 van ,. it has a N/A 6.5,. but its smoking real black under acceleration,. and the check engine light is on.
Truck is a mechanical pump,. it has a tcm to run the 4L80 E (i think??)
so,. the "check engine light is probably a trans problem?
Now i haven't actually seen the truck/van,. just talked to the mechanically challenged owner,.who thinks excessive black smoke is piston rings,.
(i,m not so sure ;)) but i'm pretty sure it is a mechanical setup as i,ve not been able to find any internet evidence of an ecm controlled N/A 6.5,.

any idea's Guru's?? :D

Nick

JohnC
06-14-2011, 10:43
Could be an EGR issue; sets codes and makes black smoke. Or it needs a new air filter. Pull the codes with a paperclip and see what you get.

phantom309
06-14-2011, 19:54
Drove nearly 2 hours to see it,.the owner wasn't very helpful,.it,s been sitting for 10months (so he says) the batteries were stone dead,. he seemed to have all kinds of stories and they were all different,.
BUT,. the interesting thing was its an electronic pump! I,ve nver heard or seen of a N/A electronic pumped 6.5,.
wonder where the ecm is?? under the drivers seat??
big tps on the throttle pedal,.like my other trucks,.
He's supposedly going to put 2 new batteries in it,.
He says it was running ok when he parked last spring (do the math here on the 10 months right) then he says he doubts it'll start, it wouldn't start last summer,.but he only had 1 good battery,.
I,m wondering if its a pmd issue,. and he's "blowing smoke" so to speak,.
It,s a 1995 conversion van,. with GT package (skirts cladding etc,.)
got some blisters starting,. but its what i,ve been looing for for a few years now,.

Nick
http://ontario.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-Chevy-20-Starcraft-Conversion-Van-W0QQAdIdZ290026421