PDA

View Full Version : need opinions on 19.5" wheels

shadoow
06-14-2011, 16:54
I've got a 2007 Chev 3500HD D/A DRW (nbs) & am thinking about putting 19.5" wheels/tires on it. Stock wheels are 16" & look a little puny.

So, right now i'm looking at either Rickson or American Eagle wheels. Am interested in anyone has any experience, good or bad, with either of these.

Also, if there are other wheels i should be looking at I'm interested in hearing about those too.

appreciate any help

CoyleJR
06-15-2011, 12:11
Last year I converted my 06 CC, DRW, 4X4 truck to Eagle 19.5 wheels (made in USA). I have been very satisfied with them. It appears that they will be good for at least 100k miles. The original 215/16 tires lasted 40k miles and the next two sets of 235/16 replacements lasted between 55k and 60k miles each.

There was NOT a major difference in the height of the 235/16 tires and the 235/19.5 tires. They do appear to fill the wheel well more but it is just an elusion because of the larger wheel. The 19.5 tires do ride a little rougher and it is hard to find some one that will mount or balance them (the national tire stores sell them but will not mount them ???????). Additionally, you will increase your stopping distance because the rotating mass of a 19.5 wheel and tire is a lot heavier than a 16" tire and wheel.

John

shadoow
06-15-2011, 19:07
thanx John, i appreciate the info

Redryder
09-30-2011, 14:41
Howdy Shadow,

CoyleJR is right on about the rotating mass of the wheel/tire combo. I have a pair of the Rickson steel wheels with Michelin tires. I had Rickson mount and balance the combo and they run great.

For what it's worth, I only run them on the rear axle when I am towing my 5er. I went to this combo because my load was about 800# over my tire capacity. Before anyone starts running around with their hair on fire about those not being the only components stressed because of the load, there have been other mods to accommodate (such as SS Brake rotors and calipers w/ HD pads, DOT 5 brake fluid, ss braided brake lines, air bags, etc.).

As Coyle has mentioned, the ride is a little harsher, but you'll be looking at 100k plus mileage. Good luck.