PDA

View Full Version : Is my starter going out?

tbuck
09-04-2003, 19:05
My truck has been turning over slower and slower over the last couple of days. I checked the connections at the terminals and had NAPA do a battery check and they came out good (1000 cranking amps each)
Is my starter going out or is ther something else I should check.

britannic
09-04-2003, 19:12
Make sure the grounds are good, if they are, then pull the starter and get it tested before changing it.

Phil Holmen
09-04-2003, 19:20
You could take it and get a load test done on the starter without having to remove it...

tbuck
09-06-2003, 19:15
Starter was bad. Boy, that thing is a pain to get to.
I got the lifetime warranty starter at NAPA, in hopes it will never have to be replaced again. Even if it does, I won't have to pay $268 again :eek:
Truck does start alot better now. :D

DamienJ
09-06-2003, 22:22
tbuck next time go to ebay to get a new or remand starter. Also thier or a butt load of starters for alot cheater. I also paid the 275 dollars to replace my starter but NEVER again.
Friends before you take the word of your mech. please do some research, for instance I was quoted $675 for a remand 6.5 fuel injection pump(4911(the most pricey mech. pump) but found it for $397 at my door step. Just please look around before sending the cash.

britannic
09-07-2003, 00:24
Or you could get Tim Wagner at Accurate Diesel (http://www.cleaninjectors.com) listed in the DP classifieds to rebuild your 4911 IP for under $200.00+shipping and core charge.

He rebuilt my 6.2L as a 4911 spec and it performs excellently.

debles99
09-22-2003, 19:30
May not help you, but something to consider.....

I had a problem with my starter a while back. Sometimes it would work good, sometimes it would drag, and sometimes it would not turn at all. Messed with battery cables and everything else. Decided to replace the starter and while removing the old one, I found that the long skinny bolts that hold the casing together were loose enough that they were almost ready to fall out. I pulled the starter off and tightened them, put it back in and when I tried to start the truck, it felt like the starter had enough power to flip the truck over compared to what it had always been like before.

debles99
98 Chev 3/4 ton Xcab 4X4
No muffler or cat are the only mods so far