PDA

View Full Version : LLY Radiator questions & intercoolers

brhinaz
06-18-2011, 17:32
hello all, new here and still learning about my truck. i have a couple of questions. 1st and i know covered alot. reference the up grading to the 2006 radiator. do you also have to replace the fan, clutch and shroud or can the larger radiator just be installed, or can larger radiator just be installed ? is there any advantage to the newer fan and shroud or does it just have to do with mounting and instalation ? also for anyone who has done it, what is the cost of the converstion ?

if this is an expensive converstion, can a custom larger radiator just be installed for a little less ?

and 2nd. i run the hypertex programmer for the tire adjustments and have an edge with juice, that i usually just run in the milage or tow modes, sometimes in level 3. is there any advantage to upgrading the factory intercooler. if there is, what brand is the largers and best (banks, bd, ect.) so many manufactures all saying theres is the best, but no actuall specs

thanks from brhinaz where it is always hot in arizona :(

More Power
06-28-2011, 10:13
The February 2009 issue of Diesel World magazine contains an excellent how-to article showing what’s needed to solve an LLY overheating problem. You can order this back-issue, and I recommend you do by visiting: www.dieselworldmag.com (http://www.dieselworldmag.com/).

In short, the LLY radiator, fan-shroud, fan, fan-clutch and radiator core support are swapped out for those components installed in the 2006-2007 LBZ equipped trucks. The LBZ radiator is approximately 4” taller and 7/8” thicker, and the fan is 4” larger in diameter (23”) than those used in the LLY. A few smaller items are necessary to make the full transition to the LBZ spec cooling system, and having the magazine will allow you to do the job correctly. This is the best solution I’ve heard yet for solving an LLY overheating problem.

When cost is a factor (almost always), begin with those items that may make the most difference - like the radiator, fan shroud, fan-clutch and fan. There are advantages to keeping a truck all GM.

Jim

brhinaz
06-30-2011, 22:24
thanks guys. but does anyone have a guestamate on what the lbz radiator swap out would run ? also. does anyone have experience with killerbee's (td-eoc) or his large oil cooler ?

Kennedy
07-01-2011, 15:06
The LBZ and even LMM are showing issues with temps in hot weather as well. A lot depends on just how bad off you are whether these mods will help.

KB is one of very few people repeatedly banned at the other site for general shenanigans etc. I'd look elsewhere.

brhinaz
07-01-2011, 19:34
to kennedy/morepower and all. i have requested the info on the lbz radiator switch. thanks for the advise and warning ? and would there be any benefit to actually installing an oil cooler. and finally. does anyone know of a good diesel mechanic in the phoenix az area who has more than average knowledge on all types of aftermarket parts to enhance durabilty as things break down ?
thanks again to all
brhinaz :)

dually2002
07-02-2011, 09:01
The LBZ and even LMM are showing issues with temps in hot weather as well. A lot depends on just how bad off you are whether these mods will help.

KB is one of very few people repeatedly banned at the other site for general shenanigans etc. I'd look elsewhere.

Wasn't there some posts a while back discussing the possible benefits of installing an early LB7 fan and clutch on these engines or was that for something else?

Kennedy
07-05-2011, 08:05
I'll have to do some digging on this one. As I understand, the fan clucth calibration keeps getting pushed up and up because consumer complaints of roar under hood and ruined trips/fuel mileage etc. There have been a lot of parts discontinued and many of the clutch part numbers consolidated from what I have seen meaning the older spec is not available.

brhinaz
07-05-2011, 14:29
thank you so much for the help so far, kennedy, thank you for the added info. by the way. does anyone know a good diesel mechanic in the phoenix area who could install and aftermarked oil cooler. or does anyone know which oil cooler i should look at with all the options out there

Kennedy
07-05-2011, 14:58
Can't say much about installers in your area, and I'm not sure I'd be looking at adding an external oil cooler, but that is up to you. I'm of the opinion that the OE oil cooler being internal is a GREAT idea as there is no external plumbing to fail. I'd focus on getting the temp out of the coolant myself.

I took another call today from an LBZ owner running at 240°f stock programming or with Bully Dog tuner.