PDA

View Full Version : Hmmm, Help.... PLEASE.... I am Lost...

scot5146
06-19-2011, 14:22
:eek:Well Everyone-

This is the story... Yesterday I was driving my 1999 k2500 6.5L Suburban down I5 into Portland. I was crusing at about 60 mph and then my engine shut down... My lights and dash stayed on, I got the battery symbol and the check guage light... I lost power steering and power brakes, I coasted onto the shoulder and stopped.

I then put it into park and turned of the key, turnned it over again and it fired right up and drove another 10 miles running perfect...

Ran a few arrons in portland and headed for home, but it did the same thing twice in a row in the parking lot... It will trunover and run and then just shut off, but all the electrical will still be on...

I got it home under its own power and it ran fine... I have been checking for loose wires, grounds, fuses, relays and cant find anything....

HELP please, I am not sure whats going on, this rig is alway well taken care of and only has 125K original on it...

The only thing I noticed was the 2 wheel drive light was occasionally flickering...
:confused:

Any Ideas....

Thanks Mike

DmaxMaverick
06-19-2011, 16:36
Sounds like time for a new PMD. Textbook failure, actually. The 2wd lamp is unrelated.

6.5TDTahoe
06-19-2011, 17:05
2nd. on the PMD,failure. Call Heath & get the forever warrany PMD ,cooler /heatSink kit.

JohnC
06-19-2011, 18:18
Read the "Stalling" thread on the tech forum.

scot5146
06-19-2011, 18:32
You know I was woundering if it could be the PMD, but because it has 125k on it and I have totally baby'd it, i kind of dissregarded that...

I will check that out asap, does anyone know where to get a good, new PMD...

I have the remote wire and cooler, I just have not put them on yet...

Thanks

Mike

Robyn
06-19-2011, 19:48
Diesel Fuel injection Service there in Portland.

Talk to Mark

Have him fix you up with a new Dtech PMD and a Number 5 resistor to install in the PMD

If your PMD is still mounted on the Injection Pump, just leave the old onhe there.

Unhook the plug and fish it up out of the intake manifold valley so you can get to it.

The best plan is to mount the new PMD on a cooler/heat sink and remote mount it woth an extension cable.

I like down under the radiator ion the inside of the front skid pan.

If you can get your hands on a cooler that bolts to the intake "top hat" you can get the new PMD there until you have the extension cable.

What you had happen is , as mentioned, a classic PMD failure.

This can go on for a while and will finally refuse to start at all.

Mark can help you.

**The PMD is the Black box on the driver side of the injection pump**

Im just over at Newberg.

Missy

Yukon6.2
06-20-2011, 08:10
Hi
I would try the new grey stanadyne PMD.I had a Dtech pmd that was acting up,looking back it had the issues from the time i installed it,got it replaced on warrenty.But the replacement is beginning to act up the same as the last one.
The truck it's on does not see a lot of miles and is in a warm garage 24/7.
Whichever one you try make sure you find out the warrenty policy.I don't think that anyone has provided a reliable PMD yet.but I havn't read about any grey Stanadyne problems yet.
If i have to spend any more $$$$ on one,i will be trying the new grey one from Stanadyne.
Thomas

scot5146
06-21-2011, 08:44
Hey thanks everyone!

I am going to try the place Missy suggested I am in Vancouver so I am pretty close...

I have a remote line for the PMD and a cooler that I am planning on putting on as soon as I get a day of from the fire station...

Thanks again for all the help

Mike
:D

scot5146
06-24-2011, 07:08
hey thanks everyone, I got the new PMD and the problem is solved!;) however as a side note my cruise control now works all the time when before it was intermittent...

What did i do? is the cruise control somehow linked into the wiring system at the injection pump. Because all I did was move some wires and unplug a few and plug them back together...

Just curious!

Thanks Again for all the help

Mike:D

More Power
06-24-2011, 08:57
If the computer senses a problem with the fuel injection system it'll kick out of cruise. So, it's related if a new PMD solved the stalling problem.

Jim

coxfmly
07-01-2011, 19:26
Hello,
On the way home from work yesterday I had the same condition as scot5146. Fortunately, Robyn had told me some time ago to keep a spare for just this situation. After changing out the unit and thanking the Police, I was on my way:) Since the spare was pulled out of the scrap yard, I have no idea of its true age or condition.

If I pick up a Dtech PMD, which resistor should I install? Is there a reason or condition that a #5 would be preferred over a #9 resistor?

Thanks