PDA

View Full Version : Performance TH700 Tranmission rebuilders.

john8662
06-20-2011, 08:15
Kinda stuck...

I have been using art-carr for my transmission needs performance and otherwise, but they've closed their doors.

Being that I'm playing with Diesels I can't just let anyone mess with a 700R4 for me, as I've never had any luck with locals.

Who should I use?

I always get in trouble with a TH700 with a Turbo 6.2 in front of it.

Thinking Bowtie Overdrives or TCI, etc.

Really bummed to have to find a transmission builder again...

Got 3 transmission projects!

Need one for my '86 C10 Banks 6.2L
Need another for my 1991 C10 Surburban 6.2L
Need yet another for Dad's project 1983 G-Van 6.2L Banks Turbo.

Yeah.. so I want to get this right! I don't want to end up with 3 POS Transmissions (yeah, I know it's already a POS 700R4).

Robyn
06-20-2011, 09:53
Heck, you twist wrenches, get the service book on the 700 and go at it.

You need a couple special tools. A spring compressor setup to get the input drum apart and a couple little gizmos to install the pistons past the seals.

Pretty much pretty basic.

Use the HD 13 vane pump, the Beast Sunshell, HD sprags and roller locks. Go with the extra clutches for the 3-4 pack, HD 2-4 band.

Swap out the 2-4 apply piston, add a good transgo shift kit and your pretty well set.

The planetaries should be upgraded for optimal durability.

Transgo offers a good comprehensive tech book on making these trannies live.

I have been through several, they are not tough at all.

Use the K case as a base to start with.

The tech books that are available at most tranny shops will get you thorugh most of the basics, the rest is just a matter of swapping out the weak factory parts and replacing them with the "GOOD STUFF"

The one other item thats needed in a HD application is to use the modified input drum that has had the hard steel ring pressed over the spine hub to stop it from expanding.
\
You can get a complete drum with the parts installed and it comes with the new special piston too. Or you can get the kit that has the hard ring and the piston with seals and do your own.

Care, cleanliness, and attention to details is all it takes to make a 700R work sweet.

I always install the transgo kit and go with the higher end settings (I call it, " setting it on Kill" )

Will shift very hard/firm and will let you know that its doing what its supposed to.

The 1-2 shift will get your coffee cup off the holder and onto the floor right quick. :D

OH BTW DO NOT use cloth shop towels anywhere inside an auto tranny. Lint, threads and stuff from these rags can stick a valve and make life misserable.

Use paper towels (parts store HD ONES OK)

Missy

john8662
06-20-2011, 11:36
I'd do it but I really don't like the trial and error part on these things.

The only way to find out it's not working right is to stick it in there and see, then pull it back out.

When it comes to transmissions I just treat it as a "unit".

I want to name the specifications, and have the builder select the parts. Too much hassile to order all these little parts and having the room to spread one apart is always an issue.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

I'm going to give a guy here locally a shot at the N/A 6.2L One. Going to call BowTie and Mad Dog Transmissions on the other two. One isn't for me so it needs to be under warranty etc. Plus one is for sure the earilier everything transmission, so chasing parts everywhere wouldn't be any fun.

Got bigger fish to fry than dealing with this one. Don't mind paying for someone to do the job right the first time. I can sure handle the R&R part of the Trans Unit though.

87max
06-20-2011, 18:53
It's been more than a few years (guess 15 or so) I had bought some cut planetaries for my th400 from tci. They were basically modified 700's. After I broke the 2nd set I gave up on them, They did supply me a new set & did give me a refund but I was out 3 total builds. I went with a company called A1. don't know if they're still around. I sold that tranny 2 years ago to a buddy that couldn't keep a built 700 alive, still running it problem free behind an injected big block aprox 450 hp.

rustyk
06-21-2011, 11:06
If you can stand the trip to Ft. Walton Beach, FL, IMHO, there's no one better than Sun Coast Converters (http://www.suncoastconverters.com/). I had my 4L80E upgraded with HD clutches, machined spline, and brazed converter, and have been delighted with the results.