PDA

View Full Version : Hows your Idle?

john8662
06-20-2011, 14:37
Bout to do some extensive testing into what it'll take to get prestine idle out of a 6.2L.

I've never had one that idled all that well, hence the reason why I like the DS4 electronic pumps (they idle good).

My Test truck will be the 1982 C10 Black Shorty 6.2L (I call it the Vato).

I gotta fix the A/C so I can do the with and w/o A/C Test (they idle worse with A/C on in my experience).

First test will be to actually install the Gasket underneath the vacuum pump instead of just using RTV, thinking there may be a clearance issue that might cause the poorer idle. The reason I'm thinking here is that in the 6.2 Bible from GM it mentions rotating the vacuum pump to help resolve poor idle, changing it's position, so it has some control on idle. I was studying the OIL pump drive from a 6.5 and checking clearance, there is quite a bit, but what's required when it's running, and whether not using the right gasket contributes to slight binding or uneven engagement?

Next we'll dig into a few pumps. Been talking to my pump guy about mods be can make and he's got some part numbers that are supposed to help in this area according to Stanadyne.

Timing? Yeah, we'll play here, I've got the timing meter (lumy and Pulse with timing light one too).

Injectors, reman 6.2L Bosch nozzle injectors 10k miles.

This truck is not that bad, just when it's HOT outside the idle kinda sucks. I don't like to be shook, gotta little gut and I don't like to be jiggled ya know (I's and Old Man Mr. Taggart)...

I'll get compression for the sake of testing too...