PDA

View Full Version : Glowplugs heating in 60 degree weather?

EdSpaek
06-23-2011, 20:18
On my 2008 LMM I have noticed the glow plug lamp on for a few seconds when starting cold and the nightime temps are only 60 degrees F. I do not recall this operating in this manner previously. Anyone know if this would be a normal condition? I also notice the voltage gauge near 9 volts indicating to me that the plugs and or plenum heater are actually warming for a short period of time after start. Looking for some trouble shooting advise

87max
06-24-2011, 13:22
I don't know specifics, but at one time or another I understood glow plugs to be on constantly at a lower voltage to reduce emissions in some motors. I may stand corrected on this. Some of the others here will know for certain.

cabletech
06-24-2011, 16:59
On my LBZ, any temp up to 86 they are on pre start and on up to 104 post start. I would guess the LMM to be the same.

Jay

More Power
07-14-2011, 13:04
On my 2008 LMM I have noticed the glow plug lamp on for a few seconds when starting cold and the nightime temps are only 60 degrees F. I do not recall this operating in this manner previously. Anyone know if this would be a normal condition? I also notice the voltage gauge near 9 volts indicating to me that the plugs and or plenum heater are actually warming for a short period of time after start. Looking for some trouble shooting advise

As a part of the overall emissions control system, the glow system is carefully monitored by the vehicle computer. If glow is on and it shouldn't be, it'll set a code. If glow is off and it should be on, it'll set a code. If an individual glow plug is not functioning, it'll set a code. So, if no "service engine soon" lamp, no problem.... :)

Jim