PDA

View Full Version : engine dies when warm hard to get restarted

master53yoda
06-29-2011, 12:26
I struggled with my 1983 6.2 with banks turbo because it started dying when it was warm and then last week it died and stayed dead. I found that the injection pump solenoid was drawing power but not making any noise, i replaced it yesterday and everything is working again. Was the dying when it got warm possibly the solenoid as well as it hasn't died since changing the solenoid.

DmaxMaverick
06-29-2011, 12:41
It's hard to say without actually reading the circuit with a meter before, during and after. In all likelihood, the solenoid/coil or lead wire insulation began to break down and short to ground. They become very sensitive to vibration and temperature. In any case, it sounds like it needed replacement, so no wasted parts.

Robyn
06-29-2011, 17:51
The fuel shutoff solenoids can do just that.

I have seen them work fine, drive in ok and then refuse to start in the morning.

I have seen them do what you describe too.

It is an electrical solenoid that pulls the fuel shutoff open and when it fails, the thing stops.

Sounds like you got it all fixed.

Missy

master53yoda
07-08-2011, 15:44
Thanks for the feed back I made a 100 mile each way trip with it this week that I probably wouldn't have chanced without your input. It made the trip just fine.
Thanks again.