PDA

View Full Version : Starting trouble with 7.3

Hooptybass
07-07-2011, 12:18
My dad has a 89 F250 with 7.3 N/A ... truck runs good when you get it runing but the glow plugs wont stay on very long ... wtihin the last 2 years we have put plugs and controler on this truck but only the plugs seem to help much ... he has to use a shot of juice when its 75 out to get the beast going . Im not sure were to go from here with the this Turdmobile

brian

rustyk
07-07-2011, 14:37
Does it "smoke" white (actually unburned fuel mist) after starting? If so, I suggest replacing the fuel return lines from the injectors.

Another possibility is a sticky fuel shutoff solenoid - clean the connector and see if that helps.

It could also be a defective controller; it should power the plugs for a few seconds even at 75°.

Ether is NOT a good idea with glow plugs.

NH2112
07-28-2011, 16:17
If the glow plugs are only staying on a few seconds, it means you have a bad plug. Buy ONLY Motorcraft or Beru ZD9 plugs, anything else will be trouble.

Interestingly enough, though, AC60Gs fit and work in these engines, but work better with a manual setup because the 7.3l controller doesn't keep them on long enough. Wiring in a modified 6.2l/6.5l controller should be pretty easy.

Here (http://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/f30/ahhh-crap-autolites-advice-270996/) is a thread from another diesel site in which I contributed some info that may be helpful.