PDA

View Full Version : Air Cond Compressor Shot and I need to drive my truck

JFerg65
07-07-2011, 13:42
OK, My A/C Compressor bit the dust. I need to go out of town early Sat morning with the truck. Is there a way to by pass the compressor using a different routing and size belt?? I know they make a bracket and pulley to take the place of the compressor.... but I don't have time to do that.

If anybody has done this and happens to know the belt length and routing I sure would appreciate the help

Thanks

DmaxMaverick
07-07-2011, 15:41
What is "shot" about it? If the pulley bearing is still functional, there is no reason to bypass it. Unplug the clutch harness (tape/tie it in a safe place). This will prevent the clutch from engaging under any circumstances.

If the pulley bearing is bad, it can be independently replaced. If that's all that's wrong, you can make your trip with the A/C working. The bearing can be replaced while on the truck, without R/R'ing the compressor, or a need for a recharge. Most auto parts store that have a "tool lend" program will have the puller/installer you need to replace the bearing, and should also have the bearing. If they don't have the bearing in stock, get the brand and part number and visit a local bearing supplier (or ag/tractor supplier). It should be an off-the-shelf item. Sometimes, they are of higher quality and less expensive than the comparable "automotive" part.

Usually, either the compressor or bearing fails. Rarely both. You should be able to work out what's wrong and make your trip.

JFerg65
07-07-2011, 18:08
Sorry, should have been a bit more detailed in my description of "shot". The clutch/pulley assembly bearing is shot along with something internal. You can feel it in the back end of the compressor. I don't think it is just the bad bearing telegraphing to the back.
It is good to know the front end (clutch/pulley) is able to be R&R'd while on. If I wasn't under such a time crunch that is a project I would have done. This will be the first time since I have owned it that I had to pay someone to do work on it. Now I'm just ticked that I have to do that.

Since I posted, I found someone to replace it for me before I go out of town. I'm going to take this time to replace what is ever wrong with my rear A/C in the back. I have heard there is some sort of expansion valve that goes bad. We will see.

I know these do last a long time, this one seems to be original (1996), so I can't complain too much, except for the timing of the failure.

DmaxMaverick
07-07-2011, 19:07
Bearing "noise" can, and will, transmit through the housing to the rear, and to the chassis in some cases. Bearing replacement (with the correct R/R tool), if the clutch/pulley hasn't been destroyed, is a 30 minutes or less repair, even for a novice. A new bearing would allow "normal" running with the original belt. If the A/C worked before the bearing failure, there's no reason to believe it won't work after the bearing is replaced. Just FYI.