PDA

View Full Version : Convert 98 Burb to Quad Seating

Stratosurfer
07-10-2011, 06:16
All,
I am considering converting the 98 Burb to quad seating on the second row. Second row currently has the bench for access to the 3rd row bench seat. What is involved in converting the folding 3rd row bench to two single seats? Are their hooks/tracks under the carpet for two single-person seats in the second row of 98 Burbs? I don't want a major deal but am ready to do this if I can pick up some seats salvage and have quad seating.
Thanks
Mark

Robyn
07-12-2011, 06:04
If I were doing the rear seat mods, I would fabricate a mounting bracket that would use the original floor hooks (wont mess up the rig) and then mount your individual seats to the new bracket.

If you can scare up a tattered old rear Burb seat, just canibalize it for the frame, cut it down and build a new platform on that base.

This will just snap into the truck as the original one did and Poof, all done.

The second row only has the bolt holes there to allow the current seat assembly to fit.

Again, some creative fabrication to build a base that will use the factory bolt holes will get you your quad seating.

Just be sure that whatever you do, that the seat belts are fastened to something solid.

This is not a really big deal, just a little measuring and creative "backyard" engineering is all.

I have done something similar on an 86 crew cab. That rig had a Bench front seat and bench rear. I installed a set of Bucket front seats and split bench/bucket rear seats.

Missy

Stratosurfer
07-12-2011, 08:01
Thanks Missy. This is exactly the data I was searching for.

JTodd
07-12-2011, 12:50
I am actually working on a similar project right now. I have sourced some buckets from the junkyard, and am cleaning them up to dye right now. I plan on putting four buckets in place of the front buckets and second row bench. All four are fully electric, including integrated heat. The seat is dimensionally very similar to the stock suburban seat, but the seat base is wider, not to mention much shorter. Once I get one in, I will post some pictures of the seats and brackets.