07-17-2011, 13:47
hey guys im new to chevy diesels. my questions are how long do
the injection pumps last. do they give symptoms are just leave you
sitting. i bought my 98 k3500 4x4 6.5 turbo diesel on e-bay
from a dealer in phil pa. i didnt make out of pa before the tranny
went out. i pulled the tranny and had rebuilt. can someone give
me a little more insight on what to replace or check before
putting this truck in service. i travel all over n. carolina and s.carolina
doing refrigeration work for a guy who owns 45 dennys rest.
the truck has 169,000 miles and runs great, but just need some
advice on what else to check.

thanks again for any help

steve n.carolina

JohnC
07-17-2011, 13:51
Start reading! All the answers are here.

The most common component to fail that will leave you on the side of the road is called the "PMD". It is part of the injection pump. The best strategy is to get a new one and remote mount it. Then, if you're really concerned, carry a known working spare in the glove box. They're easy to change on the remote mount, pretty much impossible on the pump.

Carry an extra fuel filter, too.

Robyn
07-17-2011, 14:37
The PMD is a little black box that mounts to the LH side of the injection pump.

You can (if its not already done) unhook and fish the wire harness out from the PMD (leave the old one on the pump.

The plug in the PMD has a little resistor that drops in before you plug the harness into it. Unless you know what the old one was (you can't see it) use a number 5 (get from GM or a Stanadyne repair shop.

The remote heat sink coolers and extension cables are available all over the net. Ebay has them listed in the 6.5 section.

Mount the cooler out of the engine bay. In front of the core support is a great place.

I have mounted them on the INSIDE of the pan that folds down under the radiator. Easy to swing the pan down and change the PMD.

I say carry a complete cooler wih the PMD mounted as a spare.

You can if you want have your spare with a cooler that will bolt to the air TOP HAT and this can be swapped out in a jiffy even along side the road. This is not the ideal place, but will get you going without having to lay on the ground or need very many tools.

Just a fresh PMD/cooler and a small end wrench that will remove the two LH side tophat bolts

BE SURE TO USE HEAT SINK PASTE BETWEEN THE PMD AND THE COOLER.
MAKE SURE THE PMD SITS VERY FLAT ON THE COOLER ( NO WOBBLES)
HEAT SINK PASTE IS EASY TO COME BY AT ANY PLACE THAT SELLS COMPUTER STUFF.
JUST SPREAD A THIN LAYER OVER THE PMD MOUNTING FACE, THEN BOLT IT TO THE COOLER.

The PMD can fail and leave you right on the road side. No indications, just Boom OFF like you flipped the switch. Let it sit 30 minutes and varoom go again, MAYBE.

A spare is the way to go.

Take that factory fuel filter and throw it as far as you can, then walk over and do it 10 more times.

Install a Racor 230R2 up front on a little bracket that can bolt to the ABS mount and reroute the fuel hoses to the new filter.

This is a 2 micron filter with a large water bowl (with drain) and the filter is a spin on type.

Dirt is the worst enemy of these pumps and will ruin them quickly.

The factory filters are said to be a 5 micron, which is not even good enough.

If you like you can route the hoses from the factory filter up front and through the Racor and this will then allow the factory filter to knock out the large chunks.

The factory filter (Fuel manager) are prone to leaking after the bottom rusts out, and it will.

The Racor is the real deal. The bowl unscrews and can be installed on a fresh filter, go again.

When you see water in the bowl you can drain it while the engine is running as the filter has some pressure in it.

Just add a little drain hose and your set.

The Racor can be equipped with a water sensor and a heater but unless you are in the arctic you dont need it.

With the filter right in back of the radiator it will get plenty warm.

The Racor 230R2 is designed to flow about 45 gallons an hour which will easily handle the fuel flow of this application, which is about 25-30 GPH.

A lot of fuel flows through the injection pump and then back to the tank via the return line.

Hope this helps.

Missy

fixitman4710
07-17-2011, 16:29
thanks everyone for the info. i will pick up these parts and carry with me

thanks again

steve