PDA

View Full Version : New Vacuum pump, black smoke no power

Buckle
07-18-2011, 04:56
I tried the search function but allot of the terms i did no understand.

I just got GM to install a new Vacuum pump in my truck, but now i am getting black smoke and no power.

I am sorry i do not know all the lingo but i could really use some help.

1996 Chevy 6.5 the truck now has 260,000 km

Thanks in Advance

ronniejoe
07-18-2011, 05:44
Check to make sure that the vacuum hoses are all connected properly. Check the wastegate solenoid to ensure that it is working. Check vacuum at the pump and at the wastegate actuator on the turbo.

The vacuum hoses run from the pump at the front lower right of the engine to the wastegate solenoid mounted above the rocker cover at the left rear of the engine. If you have a light duty (VIN S) engine in a half ton, there will also be EGR solenoids there as well. From the wastegate solenoid, the hose runs over to the right side of the engine to the actuator on the turbo charger.

Vacuum at the pump should be around 20 in. hg. The solenoid modulates the vacuum to control the actuator and thus boost. At idle, the duty cycle should be near 100% for the solenoid so there should be nearly the same amount of vacuum at the actuator as there is at the pump.

If there isn't, the solenoid could be bad. Try shooting a little WD40 into it to see if that will free it. If not, replace it.

These are the first things to try.

16gaSxS
07-18-2011, 12:37
I have a 1995 that's a lot like his truck. My had this thin hard plastic piping on it and I couldn't even get a parts number from the dealer. That's when I dumped the pump and went the TurboMaster route and put a one inch shorter belt. Less things to go wrong.

coxfmly
07-19-2011, 16:12
My Vac pump was failing so I installed the Heath Turbo-Master Boost Controller, works great.

Buckle
07-19-2011, 16:28
Was it easy to put on?

16gaSxS
07-26-2011, 16:04
I think I spent less than an hour dinking with it. I figure 2-3 times as long for me to do anything someone else can do.