PDA

View Full Version : Rocker Arms

Hye
09-08-2004, 10:40
Anybody tried putting the rocker arm assy from a '83 6.2L into a '94 6.5L? They look much stronger.

dieseldummy
09-08-2004, 17:33
I beleive that they will fit, but the general concensous is that they are not better then the newer ones.

CleviteKid
09-09-2004, 15:13
Forget the general consensus: GM got rid of the old style rockers because they were not working !!! The bronze bushings were not lubed properly, and were wearing into the steel rocker shafts. When I replaced mine on my 1984 engine, the wear on the shafts was almost 1/10 of an inch!!

The new style rockers let oil flow freely across the sliding contact, keeping it clean and debris free, and eliminating any significant wear on the rocker shafts. If anyone is trying to interest you in replacing the new, good rockers with the old, deficient ones, that person is a THIEF and just wants your money, and certainly not your respect.

Dr. Lee :mad:

Hye
09-09-2004, 17:08
Thanks you both for the excellent advise. How much play is too much on a 6.2 or 6.5L? I don't see anything in the manuals on this.
I just tore down a '83 6.2L that had lost the #4 connecting rod bearing. Picked it up from a mechanic friend for almost nothing just so I could show my grandsons what the inside of an engine looked like. We put it on a stand, got out the wrenches and had fun with it.
The rockers looked pretty good, and the heads look like they were replaced recently (shinney paint, no rust). The engine was missing the accessories, flywheel and front pulleys. It did have the I/P, injectors and lines, glow plugs and controller, all the manifolds, crossover and air filter.
I wondered if the arms/shafts were worth keeping for future use on one of my other diesels. They all have over 250K. The 6.5 is using coolant so I'll be replacing gaskets and/or cracked head(s) when I get some free time.

Dvldog 8793
09-10-2004, 05:03
Howdy
If the 6.5 is using coolant make sure you check the block! That is probably more common than heads/gaskets. I have a 6.5 in my shop that I used to show my kids what an engine is like, except this one came out of my truck! :mad: :(
What does the intake look like from the 6.2? Is it a single plane or is it an EGR intake? If non EGR I might want to buy it if it is for sale.
Thanks
L8r
Conley

Hye
09-10-2004, 06:02
Dvldog 8793 - If I can find your email, I'll send a picture.