PDA

View Full Version : GMC Truck Input

jdhdkid
07-27-2011, 12:59
It's time to buy a new truck, but I need input and or help. I have a 31ft Alumascape 5th wheel that weighs in at 12,400 lbs not loaded. I also have a 2005, F350 6.0 dually, that has not worked out because of many problems. I'm looking at the 2011, 2500 or 3500 GMC (Duramax). I know that GMC has made a lot of changes in 2011 but I don't know if they have any major problems like Ford.
Also would I need to go with another dually if I went with the 3500HD, I like a dually but is it really needed. I see a lot of 5th wheelers and toy haulers on the road that arn't being pulled by a dually.
Thanks for any Information.
Jim D.:)

DmaxMaverick
07-27-2011, 14:16
The 3500HD is only available as a dually (it's actually a 4500 with a pickup body/bed). The 3500 is available with DRW (dual rear wheel) or SRW (single rear wheel). The 2500HD is only available as a SRW.

A DRW truck will always be more stable towing than any SRW. I tow a heavy 5'er with a SRW, but that's my choice and I have my reasons. I don't overload the components. Ever. If your 5'er is a toy hauler (I didn't look up your trailer), any SRW will be overloaded, empty or loaded. If it's a coach, you need to know, exactly, what your pin weight will be, loaded and unloaded, as well as your GVW of the truck (how much it weighs full of fuel, with all passengers and cargo), and the GCW (the weight of the loaded truck and loaded trailer). If all your weights come in at or under the rated gross weights of a given truck, it will be fine and legal. If any part is over, it is not legal. If your pin weight doesn't put you over the truck's GVWR, you will likely be OK with the trailer weight (coach).

If the coach has a bedroom slide, and/or a front-mounted generator, you'll have to actually weigh it to know (the trailer mfg's rarely include these when they declare the pin, axle, and unladen weights, and they vary quite a bit). Also, if the trailer has a rear water storage tank (fresh or otherwise), this will also greatly affect the pin weight. For example, on mine, it has forward black water and rear fresh water storage. At the beginning of a trip, the pin is much lighter, because the rear tank is full, and the forward tank is empty. At the end of a trip, there will be less water in the rear tank, and more in the front. Because of this, my pin weight is significantly greater at the end of a trip, and I have to take this into consideration. I do it by coordinating beginning and end trip cargo loading. By the end of a trip, the firewood and extra fresh water (stored forward) is gone, so the difference is minimal (still have a full forward tank, and a near empty rear tank). It isn't difficult to keep all this stuff in check, but it has to be calculated.

Anyhow, you need to figure in every factor that may affect your towing needs and abilities. It isn't just about loading "legal". Your experience and confidence is just as important.

cowboywildbill
07-28-2011, 03:11
We went with the 2011 3500 HD LTz. Like D Max said it is really a 4500. I still can't get over how much better our's tows compared to our 07 Classic. And how much better it stops. We were towing our 40' 15k living quarter Horse trailer with a 4200 pin weight thru York, Pa. last weekend and the actual temp outside was 106 degrees f. We were in stop and go traffic for about 45 minutes and our engine temp never went above 210, which it stays at. And our trans temp never went over 195 while in stop and go traffic.. Once we started moving our trans temp dropped back to 177 degrees. we were averaging 12.7 mpg. Great trucks and no major issues with them.
I know someone with a new 6.7 Ford and he had the DPF and DEF removed because he said it didn't run right. I'll stick with Chevy.

DmaxMaverick
07-28-2011, 13:40
Also keep in mind, a truck of that rating, in some states, requires a CDL (commercial or non-commercial). Heavy trailers, be they RV's, personal or commercial utility/cargo, and/or livestock (personal or commercial), may also apply. Most states, believe it or not, consider any stock competitor (rodeo) or stock exhibition (horse shows, AQHA demo's, etc.) to be "commercial livestock transport". These ARE required to scale and submit to inspection, and may require a log book and/or ICC registration, in some states, as well as being required to pay customs fees and purchase fuel permits. Higher GVW's are also much more costly at the DMV, in most states. Some areas require 4500's and larger to scale/inspect (loaded or not), while 3500's and below get a pass (for non-commercial). Check your local laws, as well as the laws where you will travel.

jdhdkid
07-29-2011, 14:38
A big Thank You to all who replyed to my post, you all gave me some good imformation to look into.
I think it will be a new 3500HD dually. It will be nice to have a truck that I can depend on.
If anyone has anymore information on the 2011 GMC 3500HD I would love to hear from you.

Thanks Again

Robyn
07-29-2011, 20:14
Up here in Oregon anything under 26000# does not have to worry about scales as long as its not hauling for hire.

Above 26000# its a CDL, commercial plates and the whole shebang.

Large RV's even the huge Prevost type bus chassis stuff does not require a CDL (RV stuff here is exempt from that)

Large pickups that are going to weigh more than 8000# must carry a truck plate but for personal use there is no scaling and CDL stuff

I carried a 18000# plate rating on DaHoooley when I was towing the big horsie trailer.

Any more I have a standard plate on the pickup as I dont do much.

Oregon licenses the truck for the total of the trailer and the truck combined.

As Maverick mentioned, check your local laws and have your ducks in a row.

Its far cheaper than finding out along side the road while conversing with a cop or a weighmaster.

Missy

BusyGalinCal
07-30-2011, 15:14
This past spring I bought a 2011 GMC 3500HD Dually (denali package) and couldn't be happier with it. I towed a heavy 4 horse, 14'SW LQ through 11 states (mostly off highway) in the past 12 weeks. Up steep dirt road passes, through deserts, rain...you name it. It met and exceeded all my expectations. I love going down grades and not having to brake when in tow and exhaust brake mode. The only modification I made was to put seat covers on the leather seats to protect them! I'm back home now and had a wonderful trip in a truck that was dependable and comfortable.