PDA

View Full Version : 3300 # Pin weight

JohnnyR
07-28-2011, 15:56
Need your thoughts. Have a 2005 GMC 2500HD Duramax/Allison Crewcab. Looking at buying a toyhauler with a pin/hitch weight of 3295# and an empty weight of 13,600#. Not that worried about the total weight but will my 2500 HD handle the pin wt if I add airbags?

DmaxMaverick
07-28-2011, 17:13
Adding airbags will only reduce the spring squat. They will not make that rig legal, or safe. No way, no how. I know a lot of folks who do what you are asking, and 1/2 of the 'haulers I see on the road are behind SRW's and 2500/250's. They are more lucky than I.

If you add toys, it may put you over limit on the GCWR, too. These 3 axle toy haulers belong behind a 4500+ truck. Not even a 1-ton can get legal with them, loaded to near capacity. Add toys, fuel, water and all the other travel stuff, and it isn't hard. Many states require a CDL for this combination. Don't know about Texas, but if you travel to CA, you may be denied entry if they are paying attention. I know of a few who have experienced this, but see a bunch who get away with it. Fines are expensive, and not many CHP's are passing any opportunity to collect.

87max
07-29-2011, 04:24
My folks were pushing the limits of a 3/4 ton years ago with a way to big 5th wheel for the truck. It was to the point it was actually wearing out the rear tires at a rate of 2 to1 compared to the front. Yes they were the properly rated & inflated tires. Needless to say a dually was purchased shortly thereafter, problem solved.