PDA

View Full Version : Hard start

ccc
07-30-2011, 18:46
I have a 1997 6.5 S model that is beginning to be difficult to start. In Feb I put new glow plugs in and it started on the first spin, it continued that way until about mid may and then it went to about a 20- 30 second spin before the truck starts and when it does, it limps in with a rough idle. There isn't any smoke and I put a tube on the water drain to see if the lift pump was working. It is and there wasn't any water. I then ran a circuit check on the glow plug controller and it lights up for 8.5 seconds when the key is turned on, then cycles on and off about every two seconds as the truck is trying to start. It does seem that this started after a fuel up. I don't have many miles on a new filter and I have run FTTP through the tank. I have the following codes, P0236, P0238 and P0406. The last would probably be because I have blocked off the EGR vacum line and disconnected the sensor. I have cleared the codes to see if that does anything but I have to wait a bit because after the truck starts, it will start easily for the next three or four hours. Thanks for any help, I really enjoy this forum and all the expertise.

DmaxMaverick
07-30-2011, 19:30
What plugs did you install? Where did you get them?

The DTC's you are seeing need to be addressed, but they won't affect starting.

ccc
07-31-2011, 19:40
I got them from Kennedy's - quick starts (I think.)

DmaxMaverick
08-01-2011, 01:06
Test the plugs. He had a bad lot of them some time ago. Good plugs, otherwise, though. I use them. If you have some bad ones, give him a call.