PDA

View Full Version : OEM Batteries Finally Died

EdHale
08-01-2011, 05:36
I noticed on the first cool morning last fall that my starter didn't spin the motor as fast as it had, but it always started fine. I live in the south so we didn't have much of a winter and it never caused a start problem all winter. This past week I parked the truck for 6 days while on a boat trip and the 5 year old original batteries officially died. I had to jump it and immediately put in two new batteries. I was limited on my choice since I was in a very small town and the only available batteries were from NAPA. They had them, the price was good so they are now in my truck.
When I made the first start I realized how bad my old ones actually were. The difference was amazing.

ToddMeister
08-01-2011, 13:34
Yeah mine are 6 years old now in the 05 and I'll probably have to replace them this fall. Last winter there were a few times I wasn't sure truck would start when temp got real cold.

I had to replace the batts in the 95 last winter, they were DEAD after truck sat a few days in the cold.

Mark Rinker
08-02-2011, 06:36
Amazing how long the OEM batteries last...Duramaxes seem to be easier on them than the 6.5s. Easier starts, not as much cranking in cold weather?

ToddMeister
08-02-2011, 12:58
Yeah I would agree with that.

The 6.5 does crank easier in teh winter now with 5w-40 syn Rot-T, though.

And the dmax gets regular 15w-40 Rot-T year round.

Amazing how long the OEM batteries last...Duramaxes seem to be easier on them than the 6.5s. Easier starts, not as much cranking in cold weather?

EdHale
08-03-2011, 04:08
I have to agree Mark. The OEM batteries in my '98 6.5 lasted less than one year. I sure can't complain about 5 years for the OEM's in the LBZ.