PDA

View Full Version : Pmd relocation kit

Deezlejet
08-03-2011, 19:33
Oops
I bought the Heath pmd relocation kit based on many rave reviews.
I read the description but didn't realize my truck had no skid plate until I received the kit and photos contained in the install instructions.
Ok yes my fault... Ignorance is the worst excuse.
Does anyone have suggestion for an alternate location for this particular kit?
Should I just return the kit and get the bumper mount kit?
I am a little short on time and would like to try to use this kit in an alternate place if possible.

DennisG01
08-03-2011, 19:41
I'm not sure of the exact specs, but I think they are pretty much sized for the area they are to go. If you start messing with or altering them, I'm sure that will void the warranty that Bill offers. It might even void the warranty if you don't mount it where it's supposed to be. My best advice would be to call Bill and ask him.

chestatee
08-03-2011, 23:58
I Don't think locating it outside is the best local because of weather exposure.I mounted mine behind the battery on the drivers side and behind left headlight on the inside of radiator support frame. Pull battery and test mount your mount lip edge at top, make sure orientation is correct for cooling and replacing battery. Get two appropriate size self tapping bolts an inch long then mark and drill holes (a couple sizes smaller than bolt), mount, run cable. If you will notice there's a lot of direct air flow that comes through the headlight areas. I drilled and cut more direct flow areas and it works great.
Mds
Oops
I bought the Heath pmd relocation kit based on many rave reviews.
I read the description but didn't realize my truck had no skid plate until I received the kit and photos contained in the install instructions.
Ok yes my fault... Ignorance is the worst excuse.
Does anyone have suggestion for an alternate location for this particular kit?
Should I just return the kit and get the bumper mount kit?
I am a little short on time and would like to try to use this kit in an alternate place if possible.

6.5 Detroit Diesel
08-04-2011, 09:21
I Don't think locating it outside is the best local because of weather exposure.I mounted mine behind the battery on the drivers side and behind left headlight on the inside of radiator support frame. Pull battery and test mount your mount lip edge at top, make sure orientation is correct for cooling and replacing battery. Get two appropriate size self tapping bolts an inch long then mark and drill holes (a couple sizes smaller than bolt), mount, run cable. If you will notice there's a lot of direct air flow that comes through the headlight areas. I drilled and cut more direct flow areas and it works great.
Mds

this is exactly what i did. seems to me there is a lot more protection keeping it inside the hood compartment and there is still a lot of airflow from behind the light

Deezlejet
08-04-2011, 13:15
Talked to Bill Heath.
He was great...talked me through the bumper mount method and it worked great... I just had to widen the center hole for a 9/16 bolt.
He told me to use 5/16 to fit the holes but they seemed skimpy to me.
Bigger is better...seems like a very solid mount...5/16 probably would have been fine.
Thanks for everyone's help/advice.:)