PDA

View Full Version : Replace crankshaft sprocket?

FarmerDale
01-28-2004, 16:10
I am about ready to do the Water pump upgrade, and while I'm in there, I will also change the timing chain (118,000 mi on original). Reading the factory manual, I should replace the sprockets and chain as an assembly. Checking at the dealership today, the camshaft sprocket is radily available, but there are no crankshaft sprockets in the distribution chain.

I'm asking for some advice and opinions. What is the likelihood that the crank sprocket is worn badly enough to be replaced, thus making me wait quite awhile to start this project??

Thanks.

JeepSJ
01-28-2004, 17:09
Always replace the chain and sprockets as a set. Have you looked at gears instead of a chain?

cruzer
01-29-2004, 09:15
You can get quality aftermarket parts instead of going to a dealer. Those parts should be sold as a set. Gears are good too.

turbovair
01-29-2004, 11:18
When I replaced my chain, I was sure to replace the crank AND cam sprocket. Just doesnt make sense to intermix new and used timing components.I too was doing the work in conjunction with the cooling upgrade.I wanted to replace the pump drive gears too, but finally talked myself into using the old ones as the teeth looked pretty good.

FarmerDale
01-29-2004, 13:58
Thanks for the ideas. I knew from other repair work (not engine) that looking at the sprockets was just as important as a new chain, and that wear on one was detrimnetal to a new part. I am still thinking about going with the gears, and am making decisions on budget.