PDA

View Full Version : Best means to replace drivers seat

mattb5150
08-07-2011, 22:19
I am wondering what people recommend for replacing the drivers seat. Mine is the leather buckets with all the options. The leather is wearing out, the seat module doesn't work which is fine since I drive with it all the way back but a pain when trying to load things in the back seat of an extra cab. Also the seat belt is pretty dirty, came that way at 70k miles and I've tried cleaning a couple times with no luck. I know junk yards can buy over a national system but I may not get one in better condition than I have now sight unseen or are they pretty reliable? Just wondering if other's have done this or not.

Thanks,
Matt

lance-w
08-26-2011, 07:50
You can search salvage yards nationwide yourself at Car-Part.com. Maybe there will be something local to you.

cowboywildbill
09-23-2011, 04:45
I think you can get the factory OEM new leather skins they aren't too hard to put on from what I hear.

Redryder
09-30-2011, 14:50
Howdy mattb5150,

"been there, done that" X2. Bought OEM leather skins from dealer (have also had to replace BOTH seat modules). As I remember the skins were north of $600 for seat and back (they're sold separately). The new ones lasted about 18 months and were worn as badly as the original. The leather is tissue thin.

Finally went to an upholstry shop and bought a leather hide (about 20X's thicker) and had new wear panels made. COst about the same as the OEM skins. Color is slightly off, but the material is soooo much better.

Good Luck.

EdHale
10-01-2011, 07:00
I'm glad I don't like leather seats. Nothing but cloth for me.

More Power
10-01-2011, 12:42
A local automotive specialties shop near here will repair worn seat panels and seat function for usually less than the cost of parts & labor for new OEM replacement parts. And, their work is great. Because they also do bodywork, they know how to choose the correct color match for either leather or fabric.

Jim

Idle_Chatter
10-01-2011, 16:12
My driver's lower cover is split in the center and badly worn on the outside, as well as the seat cushion heater element out of service. I've been interested in giving this a try - $200 seems pretty reasonable and the quality appears to be good.

www.theseatshoponline.com